Recent content by SeaDude

1. S

free clown fry

My percula clowns have laid another batch of eggs that should hatch within the next couple of days. I was not able to successfully raise any of the last batch, so I thought some of you fish experts would like to try. You'll need a special setup to raise them in, so please do the research before...
  2. S

Raising clown babies

My false percs laid eggs last weekend. I've been doing some research on their first foods and would like to try to raise them. I know others in the club have successfully raised them so any advice is appreciated. What is the best way to get a rotifer culture started?
  3. S

Eggs hatched - but where are the babies

My male Bangaii has had a mouth full of eggs for the last couple weeks. I think they must have hatched last night since he's now got an empty mouth and is eating again. I put a long spine urchin in the tank hoping it would provide a refuge for the babies, but I don't see any sign of them. So...
  4. S

Bangaii Babies

I finally figured out why my male Bangaii Cardinal has not been eating - he's got a mouth full of eggs! Can anyone suggest some online resources on raising the babies. How long until they hatch? I assume that I need to remove them from the tank also. Thanks, David
  5. S

Bowfront leaking - who will reseal?

My Oceanic 72 gallon bowfront sprung a leak on Thursday and needs to be resealed. Will Oceanic reseal it? Can you recommend anyone that would reseal it for me? Is it a foregone conclusion that it will leak again because it is a bowfront?
  6. S

saltwater + electricity = bad

I had a close call today. I happened to be nearby when my tank's PC retrofit light turned on, flickered and turned off again. Followed by smoke. I turned everything off as fast as I could move. Apparently, the siphon break in my return pump decided to change direction and squirted directly...
  7. S

feather / backet stars for sale

I've always thought that although they are beautiful, feather stars should not be kept in captivity. Our tanks do not have enough phytoplankton for them. I noticed a LFS that is stocking them because people keep buying them. I went looking for some official resources to help convince them that...
  8. S

new horse won't eat

I just got a pair of captive-bred sea horses on Friday. One seems to be doing fine - it's eaten and explored the tank a little. The other was not looking so good when it first arrived but is looking a little better now. However, he still won't eat and hasn't move from the same spot in two days...
  9. S

hitching posts for sea horses

I'm preparing for my first seahorses and have most everything ready. I would like to make sure that the horses have places to hold onto but most of the plants in the tank are not large. Are plastic plants OK? Any other ideas on what to use? How important are places for them to hitch onto? I...
  10. S

Ozone Reactor

I have a small ozonizer that I pump into my skimmer, but I don't think that all the ozone is being taken up in the water. I can smell ozone when I run it, so I don't run it very often. Is there such as thing as a ozone reactor / container that would use carbon or something to filter out any...
  11. S

Lighting Recommendations

Since the ballast died on my PC retro and my bulbs are due to be changed in a month, there's very little to salvage from my current lighting setup. Any recommendations on PC setups? I liked the PC retro since each light had its own plug and I could control when they turned on independently...
  12. S

ballast dead?

I have a PC retro kit with two 96W square pin lights. I noticed that one of them is not lighting as if the bulb were burned out. But the bulb itself is OK because it will light up when I switch sockets. I also switched with another good bulb and just that one socket will not light. Both sockets...
  13. S

Coax ailing yellow tang to eat

My father-in-law bought a medium-size yellow tang over a week ago and it hasn't eaten since he bought it. He's tried live brine shrimp, sea-veggies, lettuce, mysis . . . Any ideas to get him eating are welcome. I'm worried that he's not going to make it - he's not looking too good.
  14. S

Who's got Flatworm Exit

According to MarineDepot, Salifert Flatworm Exit is back-ordered until Jan 06! Does any LFS stock this? - I tried calling a few without much luck. Oh yeah and it's not for me, "it's for a friend" :?
  15. S

Ugh! Cracked another bulk head

After installing my return plumbing, I saw a little salt creep around my return bulkhead so I thought I'd just tightened it a little bit. .. crack. Now I had a big leak. So I bought a new Oceanic bulkhead and this time hand-tightened the fitting to the bulkhead and crack - cracked it again...