Recent content by Jeff

1. J

Good Filtration Article from Marine Depot

This article lays out some basic pros and cons of common filtration types - I like how it's put together. It won't answer all your questions but maybe give you a ballpark of where to start asking more in depth questions. Filtration Article
  2. J

Unbelieveable tank power usage observation.

My wife brought our recent power bills to my attention. I thought I'd share. I'm still waiting on the numbers but found this quite shocking. (heh, shocking - electricity thread; I'm funny.) [Our January 2009 electricity bill was more than double our September 2009 bill.] Here are the basic...
  3. J

can a standard wall outlet handle?

It all depends. There is more than one component in the chain - the outlet, the wiring, the circuit breaker... Hard to answer that question.
  4. J

BIG worm

Barry the worm http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1165930/Barry-giant-sea-worm-discovered-aquarium-staff-mysterious-attacks-coral-reef.html?ITO=1490
  5. J

Recruiting help for a tank move for Saturday the 11th

I'd be there but I'm on call this weekend and have to sit at work...
  6. J

Eric Borneman Fragging Video

Don't know if everyone's seen this or what but some real cool ideas here. Eric - Borneman Coral Fragging video!!
  7. J

pH measurement and new monitor

Not sure where to put this but thought this would work. I just bought a Milwaukee SM101 pH monitor. I calibrated it with the enclosed 7.1 and 4.1 solutions. It has a manual scale but Milwaukee tech support says to leave it pointed straight up to the 25 degree mark for anything near room...
  8. J

Condy nem special?

I saw a tank full of condilactius (sp?) nems at the Petsmart in Rowlett for $6.99 each. They are white with maybe pink tips? and about grapefruit sized. Thought that was an amazing price for just about anything so I'd post to let others know.
  9. J

Anyone using a Reeflux 20k 150DE bulb?

I'd like to see what it looks like - I've been told great things and I'm ordering a Pheonix 14k bulb but I want to see the Reeflux 20k in use.
  10. J

Food supplements - What's good and do I need one?

I've got a new foxface rabbitfish and he has picked the tank and rock fairly clean of the stuff I wanted to get rid of. Now he really goes after the nori type seaweed I put in when it's cut into little strips. I'm wondering if I should add some kind of vitamin supplement. He goes after it...
  11. J

IceCap T5 retro kit ballast - timer help please.

I got a 24" T5 retro kit with 660-009 ballast and timer. The retro kit is prewired. I hooked up the ballast and bulbs last night to test the unit. There is no switch that I can find. When I plug in the unit, the lights come on for a second, the ballast gives a tiny 'tick' and turns off. Is...
  12. J

Chalice ID please?

Anyone know what this coral is on the right on the square plug? I got it from Zoanuts at the farmer's market. alt="">
  13. J

Tracking the status of the Dheereberries Gorgonian

OK folks. Last night I sold about 23 frags of the Blueberry Gorgonian that has become to be known as 'Dheere Berries' - I'm honored. :? The history of the blueberry gorgonian has not been that great as far as survivability in aquariums. So, I've had requests to start this thread to see if one...
  14. J

I need help - bank my corals.

I'm really frustrated. I can't seem to beat this caleurpa thing. I've got a small tank, 18 gallons. Fortunately, most of all my corals haven't been affected because they're all small frags that are mobile. There are some a couple rocks that have zoas or others attached that do have 'the...
  15. J

My Lettuce Nudibranc uhh,.. multiplied!

I have/had a lettuce nudi I'd gotten for bryopsis control - it ate like a pig and since I don't have fish, also the most entertaining and mobile thing in the tank. After a month and a half, it just disappeared. I looked in the canister filter because it had made it in there once before...