wobbly vortec

Laser

Membership Expired
One of my vortecs impellar was wobbling something aweful. I took it out and cleaned it and tightened the bolt to where it did not wobble to the touch and now the wet side is spinning and making a terrible knocking sound. I moved the boot on the dry side from 3/8" to 1/2" and same still happens. I then took the boot off and same happens. Any suggestions?

Where is the wobble taking place? On the wet side?

@Marc wrote:
Where is the wobble taking place? On the wet side? said:
Marc, it is wobbling on the wet side. It seems the shaft is too loose so I tightened it up but to get it where it wont wobble it then makes the whole wet side spin. I changed the outside position from 3/8" to 1/2" as the manual suggests but same thing. I even took the outer rubber boot off and still the same thing. If I loosen the shaft then it begins to wobble way too much so confused on what to do.

I would post in the EcoTech forum immediately if you haven't already.

I took all of mine apart last week, cleaned them all and reassembled them fully. What you are describing doesn't make sense to me, so I can't help.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=501

I got an email back from Ecotech and it appears that my pump needs to be rebuilt. The part below the impellar that goes into the small circular housing is worn and allows the impellar assembly to move to much. When tightened to elimanate this it is too tight and the whole wet side begins to spin. :evil: Good news is that the customer service is better than most companies in the world today and they are going to take care of the problem. Bad news is that I have to send it in so after finally getting up to 3 vortecs I am losing this one until it is fixed.