Who does complete water testing?

bump1

Membership Expired
I just had my water tested here for the norm and the guy said both of my tanks were in good shape. But they don't do any of the other test. I am coming to the DFW area and would like to buy some shrimp, fish and a sm cuc for my two tanks. I don't want to wait for a shipment to get here with what i need to test with when i can get it all there.Im hoping some of the LFS there can test it all for me so ill know where my tanks stands health wise.

Exotic AquaticsTalk to Preston, store manager.They are pretty good. They will test you water for free. They di charge 2 dollars for Magnesium.other good store for testing is Dallas North Aquarium.

I got my water tested and the 125 is better then the big one but the 240 has way more corals and a few fish in it.                                                    125                    240                  Ammonia                                    0  ======= 0                           PH                                               7.8  ======  7.8                       Salinity                                        1.028 ===== 1.025                  Nitrite                                          0 ======== 0Nitrate                                         10 ======= 20Alkalinity                                     7 ======== 5.5Magnesium                                 1410 ====== 1150Phosphate                                    0 ======== 0Calcium                                        440 ====== 380 Will water changes fix all my ishues other then the magnesium. It looked really low so we bought some to dose.Iv never dosed before so I am hoping water changes will bring things back to there right levels.What do u all think ?  Is my big tank to far off for water changes to fix? Exotic Aquatics guys were nice. TY                                            

Its not that far off...and too much change out might cause other issues you might not want. I would change some water then wait 24 to 48 hrs then retest...let things stabilize.  

I would get your alk up, 5.5 is very low.  I try and keep mine around 8.   I don't think water changes would help much assuming you are doing a 10% change.  It would take a lot of changes to get it up to where it needs to be.Your best bet is to get some test kits, you really shouldn't dose things if you aren't testing for them.  I just use the API test kit for Alk and you should be able to pick it up for around $5 or so.

I have always done large water changes in all of my tanks.  20 to 30 % water changes is normal for them. However i haven't done a wc in a long time. Will that shock them? What do u use to get the alk up.   

If I remember right won't the alk  also bring up my ph some as well.Now should I also get some magnesium or will it come up with the water changes. Im thinking it doesn't but i just don't remember.Sorry Iv never had these kind of troubles. I have always done lg water changes and the tanks were good. I never dosed before.

I also need a new light for my sump.  My refugium 28 long  19 wide and the water goes up to 12 inches high. I know lights have changed some. What is getting it done now days. I will be hitting up home depot or lowes soon or the LFS if thats were I need to go. 

The light that is under there sits across my sump from the front to the back not from left to right. Im sure that probably doesn't matter LOL. Any how it is a PC with one side blue or 50/50 and the other looks to be white. The bulb is burnt on both sides and is in need of a new 16 in bulb. What would be the best combo for a sump. All blue all white. I'm sure I put that on there just because its what I had on hand when the other light went out. Should I get a new bulb for this light or is there something better then a PC. I know Marc always used a clip on lamp with a light bulb in it that worked awesomely well. Im happy with that if its best as I really hate PC lights.

Well I have made my mind up. I don't like the idea of dosing. I am going to do several lg water changes to try to get my tank back in shape. If I can not get it where it needs to be Ill just have to dose. I am hoping that with my good salt and lg water changes it will bring my stuff back up. Ill give it a week or two and see how its doing and go from there.  Thanks ZaphodI think u are right, I'm  going to stick with what has always worked for me. Water changes !Opus your right my alk is real low so I will be keeping a eye on it for sure. 

Old test                                   240                  PH                                           7.8                       Alkalinity                                 5.5Magnesium                              1150Calcium                                    380------------------------------------------------------------New test So I just tested my water in my 24o g.   After three 50 gallon water changes this is where it stands.I bought the Red Sea test kits said:
          They didn't have a magnesium test so Ill do it later when I get one.I normally do a 80g water change but i went with 50g changes every other day. I didn't want to over do it but now I'm thinking I should of went with the normal 80g water changes.      

My alk drops quite a bit each day in my 75gal tank.   It is mostly zoas but a few lps and a couple of acro frags.   Never have tried to figure exactly how much it is using but my guess is around .5dkh per day.  The API test kit I use sounds similar to the Red Sea kit you are using.  It goes by drops so I have to go in 1 increments.   I have a Hanna checker that I will use every so often to make sure the API kit is still working and it is always very close to what I estimate with the API.At that rate there is no way to keep up with it with water changes unless I was to do one every couple of days.