What kind of sand sifter?

[Nassarious snails are my favorite. Dallas Marine usually has them I think at a good price.
What size tank and how deep is the sand bed?]

[sand sifting starfish, dragon goby, or a horsehoe crab...even though a 20 might be too small for a horseshoe crap.]

[For what kind of tank? Is this a FO tank, or a reef? Sand Sifting stars will eat all the life right out of the sandbed, leaving you with dead sand and algae issues.

I wouldn't even consider a Horseshoe Crab unless it was a tank for it alone. Those little bulldozers would tear up anything beneficial in a reef tank.]

[its a FO right now, soon going to start making it FOWLR.

What about a few of those blue legged hermit crabs? and a goby?]

[>>sand sifting starfish, dragon goby, or a horsehoe crab.

All of the above will quickly starve to death in that size tank.
Please research the species of Goby you wish to buy before buying him to be sure he is suitable for your tank.

I like blue leg hermits but dont really consider them sand stirrers. If you are looking for a good little cleanup crew for your tank I would suggest:
15 Nassarious
5 Cerith
5 Blue leg Hermits
1 Fighting Conch (not a Queen conch)]

[Chuck, Strombus is the genus name. Strombus Alatus is the fighting conch which only grows to about 4" and Strombus Gigas is the queen conch and can grow to over a foot. HTH]

[If this is being posted in the new to hobby forum your tank has probably not been set up long enough for sand stirrers. Most things you will want will import directly from the live rock. Such as Spaghetti worms and Sand bed clams! With only a 30 gallon tank the Nassarious snails is probably the only good advise. Fighting conchs are some of the best at their art but your tank is still too small. You need to worry about the nassarius being introduced too early. If your tank's sand bed is disturbed too soon necessary fauna will not get the opportunity to set up camp.

Good places to get:

Spaghetti worms; Indo Pacific Sea Farms (opps I said good places they are not but, only place I know)

Sand Bed Clams; octopets look under Ceph feed

Nassarious snails; florida pets (I think hurricane has them out of buisness right now).

Fighting conch; anywhere]

@hydro wrote:
[HI Does any one have a picture of a Spaghetti worm? Joe] said:
[If you look at the newsletter with Ron Salsini's tank, one image displays it.]

[If you wnat to take a long drive you can come down to Glen Rose and I will give you some red and orange Spaghetti worms. I brought some to a meeting for raffle once but no one seemed to want them. They came from Inland Aquatics three or four years ago.
Inland Aquatics
They are another good source for detritivores.]