Twiggymans 210 Build Log More pics

Well here is the start of another tank for me. Its been about 3 years since the last one, which was a 150gal. I to take a break from the hobby. This is a Oceanic 210 that was given to me. The funny thing about that is that was the wifes and I agreement for me to have another tank. Low and behold I get a big one! For starters I re finished and made some modifications to the stand. I also pluged the orig. 1in. return and drain. i than drilled the back of the tank with two 2in. drain holes. There where two scratchs in the tank that bugged me so I wet sanded and polished the areas where the tank was scratched. That took some time! While I was doing the sanding I got into the front seals of the glass a bit which than made me reseal that. So finaly I am wet with water in the tank!!!! Here are a few pics. Kinda outa order.

I would reccomend bracing around the top of your sump unless you were using 3/8" or thicker acryllic as you might get bowing since it is a big sump

other than that welcome back to the addiction we call a hobby

The sump was built out of 1/2in. No bracing needed I never liked the euro bracing on sumps any way seem to always get in my way some how. Thats just me though... I am weird that way

I have more pics coming just hadnt had time to load them.

So here is a quick list of equipment;
Overflows--2xGurgle Busters I made
Skimmer--Aqua C EV 240 running a Quiet One 5000 pump
Return-- GenX PCX40 will go bigger later
Lighting--2x250 mh PFO ballest and pendendts soon to be three
In tank flow-- 2xKoralia#4s and 1 #3 probably add one more later

Just added about 130#s of rock and will post more pics tomarrow!!

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know I appreciate the feed back!!!

looks like a good start. shoot me a pm as I live in Benbrook as well and you are welcome to come over and get some ideas if you wish.

Here is the 120#s of rock that I added. Now I need to figuare out what type of sand bed that I want to go with. I also have both of the lights fired up and working. The plan is to build up to the ceiling and box in the lighting so excuse the un finished look of that portion.

grats! lookin good...

and might i add, wow! alot of builds here lately good to see the growth

Question: What type of sand are you guys using for your sand beds?

I was planing on using Fiji Pink. Any thoughts that may save a little money with out costing any benefits?

Kyle

depending on how deep a sandbed you're going for, you could probably use Pavestone Crushed Limestone from HD (4.50 for a 50lb bag) as a base and use a few bags of fiji pink sand on top of it so your sandbed has the look you want without having to incur the expense of using all fiji pink sand. Fiji Pink is by far my favorite and is what I have in my 40br and 12g mantis.

Well I think I goofed I bought 4 bags of pulverized lime stone from HD. This stuff is kinda like powder. It is made by Pavestone in a bag with blue writing. Is this the stuff that everyone has been using?

Kyle

Well I got it figuared out I did get the right limestone for my sand bed and got a 100#s of it rinsed out to night kinda of. I will start to put all 250#s in it tomarrow night.

How did it go? The sand is very fine and needs to be rinsed very well as i have the same problem. i will have about 500lbs of it in my 600 and about 300lbs of the caribisea mixed in. It took forever to work on the first batch of rinsing.

@dp1416 wrote:
How did it go? The sand is very fine and needs to be rinsed very well as i have the same problem. i will have about 500lbs of it in my 600 and about 300lbs of the caribisea mixed in. It took forever to work on the first batch of rinsing. said:
Well it is defenitly alot of work. I added about 250lbs and washed the first 100#s for what seemed for ever and never did get it clean. The next 150 I rinsed about 4 times. I did all of this in a 55gal trash can. I than added it all the water gets what I would call swamp like. It has been about 24 hours and it has cleared up real well. I expect it to be clear tomarrow. I am really liking the look of this stuff I had planed on adding a layer of figi pink on top but think I am leaving it alone. I will post some pictures of it tomarrow.

Well here is the begining of my aquascaping. There is about 130#s of rock or so. I spaced the rock off the back of the tank for a couple of reasons. One being I like the back glass to be clean and two to get flow behind all the rock in the tank. I will add about another 70#s of rock. The reason why I havnt yet is I want to choose the rest individualy to top off the rest of it. I did the aquascaping by drilling and pinning the structures togather using driveway marker polls. I did not drill all the way through but about an inch or so and cutting the pins to fit. Let me know what you all think. Sorry for the bad pics :oops:

Kyle