Tips for catching difficult fish

Rockwall_Reef

Premium Member
Just thought I'd create this for people who are having difficulty snatching some fish out of the tank. Over the past years, I've read about some reefers using pretty interesting methods to catch a fish and would like to mention what I've had success with.With a problem fish, I'm sure we all know about how, upon the entry of the net, they rush into their crevices and stay for a few minutes until you back up from the tank. If you're causing too much stress then they'll even start rushing off when they spot you.If we're just going to go after 'em with a net, to give us a fighting chance, we should reduce their visibility and if possible, make them look somewhere else. How? Turn down the lights in the tank and turn up the lights in the room.I was hunting for my melanurus wrasse over the past few weeks and I actually got him with one of the most basic strategy. I always feed my tank from the top corner with a few pellets before I feed frozen. It gets some fish moving and alerts others that its time to eat. As usual, I fed a few pellets, with net in my right hand I slammed it into the water behind the wrasse. He turned around and swam right into it. I just had to pinch the net to the glass and I had him! If you CAN move your scape around, it makes it easier. Particularly if you have an edge of the tank that is a little low on rock. Clear that side up A little more and you're almost guaranteed to catch. Have a sheet of plexiglass cut to fit as if you wanted to run a false wall. Corner the fish and limit the space they can go. I haven't been able to use this method for a few years but do know it works. I've even caught a lightfoot crab like this.