Timid seahorse. No, not an oxymoron.

I've obtained a mated pair of HCs. The both eat frozen mysids. Allegedly Daddy is carrying which I hope explains his behavior.

The one is active, free swimming, often moves up to the frag racks to hang out, and is always visible in the tank and hand feeds at every opportunity.
The other hides almost always. Sometimes he is out and I can directly observe him eating. Most of the time though, I'm spreading the shrimp all over in the hopes that he will find some and eat.

We only actually observe him eating every 2 - 3 days. I'm worried he isn't finding enough food. I always start on one side of the tank, hoping he will find his mate and look for food in that one spot first. No luck.

When should I be worried? Its going to be another few days before I can move them to a smaller 45 gallon where I can cut the powerheads and coax him into the open twice a day.

How does his belly look? If he isn't eating enough you should be able to see his stomach sucked in. Sounds like pretty normal behavior although I've never had a Comes.

I wouldn't be worried unless he stops eating. Could just be getting used to his new setup.

Well, both were out today, very active and munched quite a bit. One of my sons: "They are holding tails, Dad!" [smilie=thinking.gif]

He can't be too stressed if he is off visiting his girlfriend for lunch.

Hahaha glad to hear he is doing better today. Seahorses are stressful until they get settled.

We took these photos the other day. The wife saw them together earlier and tried to get photos of the pair. I have not pulled them off her memory stick yet. Will do so later.

This will have to do for now:
wOWrz.jpg
alt="">
DTY4r.jpg
alt="">
NUoh7.jpg
alt="">

We would like to get them some pipefish friends eventually.

Mysis shrimp 2 - 3 times a day. My pod population in the DT is way down over the past week so he may just be snacking on live food and taking the shrimp as a last resort. I've seen both of them sucking up mysis first hand so I know they like it. Both had a hearty appetite today, but it looks like the male retreated out of view again. If he keeps this pattern up, I won't see him for another 2-3 days from now.

Phyto goes into that tank every 3 days. Frozen rotifers once a week. Coral food mix of stuff similar to rods once, maybe twice a week.

Nice pictures and beautiful horses. Are you going to breed/raise some babies?

Thanks. We are going to try. I think we lost this batch due to moving them across town and the stress of a new tank and everything. I restarted my phyto after the crash from no AC for over a week. Once I have that solid I can look at rotifers again.

We are all adults here right?

So, when a mommie sea horse loves a daddy seahorse VERY much.......
Caught them a while back "holding tails" in a bed of Dragon's Breath.

Look at the new belly on pappa! We lost the first batch of fry I think mostly due to the fact he got hauled across the entire DFW metroplex and chunked into a new tank.
iY8zj.jpg
alt="">

I really really do hope he births before or after our scheduled vacation Aug 5 - 11.
I need to get a full phyto/rotifer/brine shrimp factory going soon.

tkBE6.jpg
alt="">

0fMGQ.jpg
alt="">