Sump Plumbing

Bacterial blooms are common in tanks with low nutrient levels and low bio load. ?It takes time to build up and even more time when starting with low nutrient live rock. ?I wish I had taken pictures of my tank when it looked like it was full of milk and then when it had a slimy snot bacterial bloom that would clog my float values for my ATO! ?Just give it time to settle out and don't add anything new. ?Keep up your regular feeding and water changes schedule and things will balance out. ?Next to come will be a brown algae and/or cyano bloom. ?All of this is normal, but doesn't happen to everyone.A very true statement I have seen or heard around here... ?You can set up 5 tanks in your house at the same time and all 5 will do something different! ?My 100g I had years ago was completely different than my 400g and everything is a great leaning experience. ?I am thankful for sites like these that help get the information out there so I can spend less time freaking out and more time understanding what is going on. ?Be patient and try no to rush things.

Alright, I think I have most of the basic information from our discussion today over on the build thread now. Please join me over there.

Where I started in freshwater cloudy and white was always bacteria (run carbon, change water, don't bother with the blackout) and cloudy and green was always ammonia (fix the filter, blackout).Over in salt water land I've been told there are photosynthetic bacteria that make water white rather than green. ?Sometime in the first month or three of my 170 I ran in to this. ?Ammonia read zero, nitrates read zero, phosphates (on a cheap kit) read zero_One of the LFS owners called BS on my white bacteria claim. ?It was NOT a sand cloud, and a 25 ?m filter didn't touch it. ?Not believing but following the advice of more experienced people I tried waiting it out for a week or two with no luck. ?I tried the bottle of bacteria (LFS owner gave me one for free, was sure it would work), nothing stopped it. ?I finally decided to try my theory, blacked out for 2 or 3 days and the water was crystal clear when I uncovered it.Not saying it is your problem, but it might be worth trying. ?Three days isn't going to kill any coral that isn't barely hanging on to begin with. ?Don't forget to black out the sump too.

Thanks JC, I'm going to let it ride for a few more days. It is better tonight. If I still have?the issue I may try that.?