starfish killer

I got a yellow double star starfish about a week ago, and I've really enjoyed having him. Last night, I found him laying on the sand, upside down. Part of one of his legs was missing, and it looked like just a tiny part of his underbelly was tore up and I noticed a tiny orange dot in the area of the injury. He was right by my tentacle plate, and I thought maybe the coral had stung him (newbie thinking). I flipped him over and hoped for the best. Today, when the lights came on, he had no legs and where the legs should be was covered in these tiny, bright orange dots. They are very little, perfectly round, and as far as I can see, they don't have any legs (they may, but I can't see them if they do). I've been looking all over for my camera, but I can't find it. Has anyone ever heard of or seen anything like this? I'm going right now to take whats left of the starfish out, along with the little orange things all over it.

Tank has been done cycling for about 1 1/2 months. Acclimated him for 2 hours. He seemed fine for a week, until half of a leg was missing. When I got what was left of him out, the orange dots were just a slimey material, I think they may have came out of the starfish. So, I don't really know what ate him.

Yes, it is more likely due to the time frame to be acclimation shock. They melt or disintegrate, and the arms fall off.

Can you post your specific tank parameters? Your tank is very young, IMO, for a star..as many parameters you do not check are still fluctuating. I would also be interested in a picture of this star.