Starfish ID plz

debdp

Premium Member
Along with some new rock usually comes some cool stuff... I found the brownish starfish hanging out on the electrical cord of the powerhead at the waterline. This rock is in a tub waiting for transfer to a new tank. I have a multilegged critter I believe is an asterina... I've been tossing the white asterina in my fuge when I find them. Most are white, one has some blue on it. But this brown guy I don't think is an Asterina. Anybody know what he is? Is he reef safe? I'm sure he is 'cause he came from a mature, really nice tank. This new stuff will be housed with GSP, Xenia and now some shrooms that were hiding on this rock as well :).

Thanks in advance for your help!

To me it does look like one of the Acropora eating varieties of asterina but I am definitely no expert. I think Scott or Marc would be able to give you a more positive answer, but I wouldn't trust it.

The brown ones are usually harmless. It is the ones that have a blue coloring that seem to be the bad ones.

Don't quote me on that, with my luck I have it backwards. :?

Maybe someone should have a Harlequin for hire like the Sea Hare that seems to be up for rent every so often.

I know the population of those stars is getting almost to the Marc levels and I think a Harlequin Shrimp is in my future. I just have to get my large Serpent out.

Sorry for the threadjack but - Steve - Harlequin's won't harm serpents... I've got 7 large serpents, and a pair of Harlequins, they haven't touched the serpents...