Some Input Please!

raggedfinfirefish

Premium Member
Hey guys. I've been bumming around the seahorse forums on RC seahorse.org as well as mony other sites, in my search for info on horses. The main concerns that I've had are tank size and specis. Well, lets adress the first issue. I'd really like one of the all-in-one sort of tank such as the nano cube. I realize that the cube is probably too small for the likes of the ponies, But i've inquired with marc on the possiblity of a custom tank, either an 18" cube or an 18" tall by 14" by 14". What do you think. Now, for the second issue, the specis, I'm in debate between the ocean rider mustangs, zulus, the kuda and finally the marine depot redi. Which would you reccomend? I'd think i'd like either two pair or 2 male and a female. do you think in the cube I could fit two pair? Thanks for your input

If you've been reading those forums, you should know some of the basics by now. For example the tank has to be tall enough for the seahorse (3x their size). I was just looking at the links you provided, and the Kuda has to have 68 to 72 F water. That might be tricky to achieve.

Keep doing your research on how to take care of them, and then research the specific type you want to make sure you set up the perfect home for them.

You really need to decide on type of horses you are wanting to keep - at least decide between tropical and sub tropical. Zulus (capensis) require cooler water which would mean a chiller. They are also a smaller species and therefore can live quite happily in a smaller tank.

I love the look of a cube. If it were me, I'd probably go with a 30 gallon cube and either erectus (mustangs), kuda or reidi. All 3 species of horses can come in a variety of colors.

Are you interested in raising the inevitable fry? If so of the erectus, kuda and reidi, the erectus are far easier to raise because they can hitch at birth.

People seem to have mixed results from OR. Some have purchased and love them, others have received horses plagued with trouble. If it were me, I'd try to find someone local with the horses of the type you are looking for. I have bought one horse at a LFS and was very dissapointed with the horse -it was very inactive, and also came down with an infection the minute my water parameters weren't quite right. I'll only buy directly from the breeders now.

I have sold several pairs of erectus to local members. These horses are now having fry (read posts below). I'm sure between these members and myself, we'd be able to find a pair of erectus for you.

Good luck in your research, and update us on what you choose!

Carolyn