Skimmer Upgrade - Octopus or Euroreef

I am about to upgrade my skimmer to a new more efficient unit. I currently have a ETSS-600 skimmer that I am running externally. My tank is 175 gallons with a medium bioload.

I am looking at either the Euroreef RS250 or the Octopus DNW-200. Anyone have experience with either of these skimmers? I am having a hard time trying to figure out which one to get. Oh, and the search function on Reef Central is useless BTW.

Thanks for any input,
Michael

RS180.jpg
alt="">
DNW-200-6540.jpg
alt="">

Blide is running a nw-200 on his nano now! :lol: Send him a PM. I think he actually had it on a much larger system, but sold it when he moved to Allen. He is wanting to trade for a smaller one now.

Now I am wondering if the Octopus would even be an upgrade if someone is using it on a nano. Their specs say it is good for a 200 gallon aquarium but I want to make sure that the next skimmer I get really does the job and then some. I hear a lot of great things about the Euroreef but it is a little more pricey and will take a little more work to run externally.. but whatever it takes.

Is there some other great new skimmer that I should be looking at? I am kinda sold on the needle wheel / pinwheel design and I am through with the downdraft style that I currently have.

Performance from what I recall reading is about the same on either one as mentioned. The ER has a slightly smaller footprint so if space is a factor, that may lead you in that direction. The NW has a drain built into the cup, and that is always a nice feature. Also check the cup disconnect joints on both, I have an older model ER on my 90 and you have to unscrew the coupling which is a major pain. I believe the newer models may have a twist and disconnect, but that is a feature that would sell me on one over the other.

If you want external with a lot of growth and reportedly awesome skimming, take a look at the new reeflos..

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SQ-OCT-PK200&Category_Code=reefflo

Its much more pricey, but they have been getting rave reviews for performance.

@Mikel wrote:
Now I am wondering if the Octopus would even be an upgrade if someone is using it on a nano. said:
LOL, that's funny you would have to know the story. It's a good skimmer and a lot cheaper than the ER and by no means is meant to be used on a nano.

If you want a nice skimmer and don't mind spending the money just get a Deltec or the Euro-reef.

I have owned both an euro reef cs 6-2 and now an octopus recirculating skimmer...

both are built great and have no complaints on either one..it is like comparing a mercedes to a bmw both are great products.