Skimmer Suggestions

Ok, I had a Skilter (240 I believe) and it did a great job at creating micro-bubbles, making noise and being an all around irritant. Unfortunately, it wasn't so great at skimming....go figure.

I have a 45g corner tank, no fuge or sump yet, and about a 2" sand bed (I am slowly adding more to it via pvc pipe, but its just reg sand you'd get from an lfs). I am going to get a lot of flak for this, but I do not test my water often at all. I tested it once and everything came back great (I forget what the params were at this moment), but everything is thriving and growing so I am not concerned. I have a very low bio-load in there currently. I have a couple monti cap frags, some gsp, xenia and cloves in this tank. For fish I have a YCG, maroon clown and a juvie false perc (I am working on removing the maroon but its been a rough go so far) followed by an assortment of hermits and a few snails. I also have around 50 pounds of LR and will be adding about 10 pounds this weekend from my old tank.

I use my xenia and cloves as an indicator of any potential issues. I do 15% water changes weekly and I micro-bubble the heck....err I mean attempt to skim the heck out of the tank once a week but my skimmer dont skim to well.

I do plan on adding an additional 20 pounds or so of "dead rock" and letting that seed over time. You see, in my grand wisdom I forgot to put it in the tank (its a 25# box of marco rocks) when I was setting it up so I have to get to that :oops:

I am looking at the aqua c remora skimmers and would like input on other choices if anyone has a similar setup with suggestions. I have looked into the different mods for my skimmer but its really not worth it because it leaks from where the motor is "connected" to the plastic. So why make it better at leaking?

THank you all in advance for your help, its greatly appreciated.

if you are looking Hang on Back ...aqua c remora, deltec and barracuda have good skimmers...coralife can hang on the back too...i love my coralife i get good results with it..but it is a 220 gallon model on my 40 gallon frag tank system

@kuyatwo wrote:
if you are looking Hang on Back ...aqua c remora said:
I'm not really looking for a specific kind, its just a HOB would be the most convenient for now.

I will look into Coralifes, thanks for the help Pampee.

You either love or hate coralife products... but i love mine...it is inexpensive and has good functions...even their calcium reactors are good products in my opinion has a function that my friend pointed out that i have not seen on other calcium reactors.

If it works well, I'm all for it. My skilter just makes this loud rattling/buzzing noise and doesn't skim. So its the worst of both worlds.

And I dont mind trying something out, if it doesn't work I'll turn it into a HOB Fuge of sorts.

If you add an airstone to your skilter you can actually get it to skim a little bit, but you're better off replacing it. Even a seaclone is better.

Ok I think I am gonna chime in here .. How bout the Red Sea Berlin Skimmers? Anyone have any opinions of these? I have been looking at those the Octopus HOB and the Coralife HOB.

Sorry if I am Hijacking the thread I just didnt think we needed two posts for this :)

@fejus wrote:
Ok I think I am gonna chime in here .. How bout the Red Sea Berlin Skimmers? Anyone have any opinions of these? I have been looking at those the Octopus HOB and the Coralife HOB. Sorry if I am Hijacking the thread I just didnt think we needed two posts for this :) said:
Its all good man 8)

They make an HOB octo? I'll look into that one. I haven't heard to much abotu the red sea brand.

Aye sir

red sea Turbo HOB

Octopus HOB

Coralife HOB

The only thing I am worried about is that, with skimmers, I hear you get what you pay for heh.. I wish more manufacturers like Euro Reef and others made HOB skimmers hehe. Now I went to Reef central and I have gotten mixed reviews about the Red Sea Turbo skimmer. Some love it but some hate it. I heard from one guy that its awesome .. hten next post down a guy said it floded his house lol.

coralife hob is good cause it uses needle wheel technology...i get good dark stinky skimmate

like you need another option, but as long as your asking - Precision Marine also makes high quality products. And, if you buy a blemished one from their direct sales you can get a good discount that makes them price comparable with some lower end products.

http://www.precisionmarine.com/html/protein_skimmers.html

Thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions! I got some reading/research to do this weekend.

Thanks a lot guys! I am also going to incorporate a 20 gallon sump/fuge most likely on the advice of another member.

My first skimmer was a Prizm... I spent more time adjusting than it did skiimming. Then I did more research and picked up a Tunze nano. I have two and they're great. The only thing is they're an in-tank filter but it's really only an issue in very small tanks. I have one in my 20L AGA. The other is in the AquaFuge of my 24g Aquapod. I had planned to buy a 3rd for my 12g NanoCube but it won't fit in the back section and I don't want it in the tank because it'll take up too much room. They produce a lot of skimmate. Very happy with it.

@kuyatwo wrote:
You either love or hate coralife products... but i love mine...it is inexpensive and has good functions...even their calcium reactors are good products in my opinion has a function that my friend pointed out that i have not seen on other calcium reactors. said:
i agree, i have a coralife super 125 and it always skims stuff out. with a dry foam setting the water in my collection cup os black. and my lfs has them for 189 or 199.99 (something like that). if you have room for one i recomment a coralife super skimmer they seem to work very well and esu's customer service is great