Sick fish

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
Something isn't right in my tank. I've been watching the hippo tangs, the powder blue, and a bengaii all acting strangely.

The last loss I had was the Mandarin that looked super healthy, the day after I treated the tank with a phosphate removing product. Since that day, I've seen some white dots that look like pimples on the hippo tangs. Today, I noticed that their eyes are cloudy, but none of the other fish in the tank have this symptom. None of the other tangs either.

The powder blue looks perfect from end to end, but still has been swiping his body against a couple of areas on the LR which is possibly velvet ich-related.

The bengaii was looking strange three days ago. It was swimming way up near the top of the tank near the Tunze Stream pump, and it never has done that once. Watching it closely, I saw that one of its navigational fins was tattered. The top fins and tail were perfect. I thought maybe it had been in a fight. Didn't see it for two days. Today I found it in the back of the tank leaning against some LR breathing heavily. An hour later it was missing, and I thought the Serpent Star ate it. However, it was blowing & tumbling across the front of the tank still alive, sort of. I pulled it out, put it in a cup of ice water and let it die quickly.

So, something is up. Catching the fish will be an absolute nightmare, of that I'm positive. And what to put them in that is plausible is another question.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some Garlic Extreme, as this current batch of food I made (for the past 6 weeks) didn't contain any garlic. Maybe it will help boost their immunity a tad.

Suggestions are welcome. Oh, and BTW, Tucker (the blue hippo) decided today to eat some of my Jimmies!!!!!!! (Gorgeous Zoanthids from Jimmy Walls) Could it be palytoxin poisoning that my hippos are suffering from?

Marc,

I am surprised you didn't provide the very info that even you would ask if some one else posted a problem. What are you water pars?

Have you done a water change?

What to put them in... rubber maid tubs?

http://www.melevsreef.com/parms.html

I did an 80g water change about a week ago.

I don't really have anything suitable. I'd need a huge trough perhaps.

@Marc wrote:
http://www.melevsreef.com/parms.html said:
Have you tested since you noticed the issue and tested for ammonia and nitrite as well to see if you maybe have something dead in there?

I'll retest all the water tomorrow. (today)

I am sorry to hear ahout your losses. Have you added any new fish lately with out using a QT?

My previous hippo ate 2 colonies of zoo's and it didn't phase him a bit.

It sounds like you have lots of different things happening in your tank and something is just off. You might try getting back to basics by heavy skimming, reduce the feedings, and stop the chemical additives and just do some steady water changes. :|

Yes, I added Dole from your tank Nicki, and the Copperband Butterfly from another member. Both were in reef tanks and looked healthy.

But I agree, my tank has been through so much in the past 45 days or more. I have 55g of new water mixing for the past 24 hours. I'll change it tomorrow.[/list]

You added Dole at least three months ago! You would have had problems before now. I meant did you add any fish more recently (within the last three weeks).

A couple things I'll suggest, check the RODI water for purity with one of those quick dip strips for freshwater. What is the TDS of it? It sounds to me like your topoff water may have issues.

Could try a 50-70 gallon water change every other day for a week and see if things don't perk up.

Whats your TDS at out of the tap? Does it always run around 5 for the finished product?

@Marc wrote:
RO/DI tests at 5 TDS said:
Did you check for ammonia in the RO/DI water and in the tank? Maybe you are having the same problem as Kitty32. Maybe you should test the RO/DI output for clorine also to make sure the carbon filters are doing their job.

Ammonia is 0. I did all my tests last Saturday or Sunday. http://www.melevsreef.com/parms.html

The source water is fine as far as I can test. And only the Hippos seem to be affected when you study the livestock.

I think I have Mad Tang Disease in my tank. :lol:

I could have lower TDS if I changed out the DI, Mark. I'm being thrifty, and won't change it until the TDS reads 10. The tap water is around 170 if I recall correctly.