Seahorse tank suggestions

BrianC

Membership Expired
[Buyitjody e-mailed me about my seahorse setup... so I got to thinking I would asking for some input on the whole set up? As well as giving me the opportunity to post my thoughts!

My current set up is a 37 gallon tank (2 1/2' long * 1' wide * 2' tall

I use the eclipse system 3

I am building an 8" sand bed (nessesary for some marine plants I intend to keep)

I used one 15lb peice of marshal island live rock.

my live stock will include firefish (amount unknown), 2 gulf coast pipe fish, 2 oceanrider mustangs/sunburst???, some feather dusters, fighting conch, other snails, blue leg hermits, 2 blood shrimp, a finger leather, xenia, several variations of marine grass. I want to keep Photosynthetic Gorgonian but I understand most are not hardy enough.

Changes to the setup: because a heater can not be in the same tank and there is no room for a skimmer I planned to use;

A 10 gallon refuiguim

A Mag drive 3 for out of tank (head is about 2') it will move 325gph

A Mag drive 5 for into the tank (head is about 4') it will move 310gph

I do not plan to use a a skimmer but Caulerpa instead (Ecosystem aquarium)

I will only be using 30 gallons of water roughly (due to 8" sand bed) therefore I planned to use a 150 watt heater.

Websites I've use;

www.ecosystemaquarium.com - caulerpa skimming
www.floridapets.com marine plants (thanks buyitjody)
www.oceanrider.com seahorses
www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates.shtml companions (Thanks Amanda)
dscott.home.texas.net/aqua/reflector.html increasing lighting from 36 watt to 64 watt???

Any suggestions on a closer and smaller pump set up other live stock please let me know]

[You said you were going to use an ecosystem, and also a 10-gallon refugium? Or did you just mean a refugium with DSB, caulerpa?
(please don't buy into "miracle mud" it's backyard dirt.)

I'm not familiar with seahorses but it seems like quite a bit of flow for animals I've heard can't handle too much current. Have you looked into the CPR Aquafuge hang-on refugium? It's an all-in-one unit that should give you your fuge, good circulation,and somewhere to hold your heater, for about $125 new. I have one on my 46 bowfront and love it.

You also didn't mention upgrading your lighting in the eclipse 3... I would say 1x32W PC at least, 2x32W or 1x55W if possible for the leather and photosynthetic gorgonians. (With enough light, I believe they are very hardy).

Most important thing is, you've thought things out and planned well, done your homework. You're well on your way to making it a successful and rewarding venture.

HTH

Travis]

[Miracle mud is mohave dirt. Terrible, I agree it becomes nutrient defficient in a very short time.

Anyones have a suggestion on what may stop the pumps from overflowing the tank/ refugium. As well as any broad range opinions on how to best inprove the system.

I know Macna theme was year of the seahorse and I am hopping to set up a rearing tank. I inturn can use it to turn out knowledge on rearing and how to set up the tanks successfully. If anyone has already done some of this please let me know I am eager for input!]

[@BrianC wrote:
Anyones have a suggestion on what may stop the pumps from overflowing the tank/ refugium. said:
Can you go into more detail on this question?

I know Macna theme was year of the seahorse said:
That is not true. I stated on my site and in my pictures that it could have been called The Year of the Seahorse because there were so many of them on display. At least 3 vendors where selling them, if not more. I must have seen 7 tanks of seahorses while attending the conference.]

[My bad Marc... i miss read your post and must of misunderstood the meeting topic following Macna sorry for any confusion!

As for the aquarium elaborate? I plan to use a mag3 in the tank to pump out water into a sump. I plan to use the mag 5 to return the water...the problem is the mag 5 is about 15 gph less than the mag 3... if I am using say a 10 gallon refugium it would over flow in less than an hour. Is there any sort of way to adjust the waterflow... like maybe an auto top off system? I am just unsure any suggestion would help.]

[You will never be able to balance two pumps successfully. Even if they were perfectly matched, their flow rates would vary because of head pressure vs none, any type of blockage on one that the other doesn't have, internal slime in one that the other has exceeded.....

You need to just incorporate an overflow to drain the water from the tank, and match one pump to that drain to keep up.

That one open tank by asplashoflife.com would probably be a really cool seahorse tank. It is 20g in size.]

[The problem is the eclipse. It is perfect for water flow and the sea horse can't get caught in the system. But the wholes are too small in the back for an overflow/Cpr like type set-up. I am note sure if the back panel of glass could be drilled? If it could I would want the upper most quadrant drilled. If it can be drilled will anyone drill it while it has creatures/water in it?]

[Odds are yes, it can be drilled, but not with livestock in it. Tranquil Scape drills tanks with a nice member discount.]

[I talked with micheal today at randy's fishwarehouse. he stated the turtle grass should skim just like calurpa but will need regular water changes. I think this is going to work without a sump. I just need to find a way to heat the water without having a heater?

Anyone think it's safe to hide a heater under the sand? by the time I am done this tank will have an 8" sand bed.]

[If you use a hang on back filter or even a skimmer, you could put the heater in that, just to circulate water around the heater and back into the tank.

Or you could build an acrylic housing with vent holes to allow water to blow through but keep the sea horses off of it.]

[Brian, Turtle grass derives nutrients from substrate not the water column. This is why it does better in very well established DSB/mud setups. If you are looking for nutrient export stick with some of the better macros, ie chaetomorpha.
As for the heater, sticking it in a filter or skimmer as Marc suggested is a great idea. I wouldnt risk putting it in the sand, especially if you intend to keep it planted. They also make heater guards for this purpose.
HTH]

[Water changes will take it out of column. I don't think calurpa would look well in the tank. The sand bed is 8" I am more worried about removing it's nutrients. Filter guards; I've been told with seahorse fry are not effective. I plan on getting them from ocean rider with a pregnant male! All good suggestions that have already been roosted. I have been working these problems over for 4 months.

current status 2 months out before seahorses. Currently stocked 2 gulf coast pipe fish (test subjects same family but hardy) 1 fire fish, 3 hermits, dozen ghost shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 3 nerites, 12 cerith.

I need some nassarius vibex anyone had luck breeding them?]