Sea horses - Tank mates

[Are there any tank mates for sea horses in general or should they be housed alone? I know they don't compete well for food. How about anemones, are they safe with horses?

Thanks]

[Not even remotely an expert on this, but I have heard that anemones are a big NO NO. Sea horses tend to use the tentacles of the anemone as an anchor to hang on to which can result in the obvious.

Pipe fish seem to be good tank mates ( from what I have heard ). I am sure that there are other things as well, I just don't know of them.]

[I usually have one fish with my seahorses. It should be nonaggressive. Depending on how much you feed it helps to have one that is not as aggressive of an eater. I have kept firefish, yellow assessor and a antenna goby with mine in the past. Right now I have a firefish with mine. I would not put anemones with seahorses. They are slow swimmers and like to hang on things. I would worry that they could get eaten.]

[Thanks for the reply. I would put various brancing structures for them to hang on to as well as some plants (I see those in most of the pics I have looked at). I also read you should leave an open space in sand for their courtship ritual. They sound like facinating creatures and a joy to keep. I just don't want to go into it blind!

Is an overflow filter with a bio-wheel adequate filtration? Are there any special lighting requirements?

Thanks again! :bow:]

[Not to shew you off, but if you're going to keep horses you need to do a lot of research first - it's not a jump in and see what happens kind of thing. There are much better resources than this forum. Try seahorse.org. Everything you'll ever need to know can be found or asked there.]

Edited By tdreefer on 1109627183

[There are no special lighting requirements. It is recommended to have a minimum tank height of 20 inches. I recommend tank raised seahorses. They are hardier and eat frozen food well. You also need to decide what type of seahorses you want to keep and if you want to try to raise babies. Some species fry are easier to raise then others.

You are doing the right thing by doing research first. I also recommend doing a search on seahorse.org or syngnathid.org. You will find all the information that you need to know there.]

[I am not an expert by no means but am currently raising some erectus fry and have a tank waiting for them that I have recently set up as well as a dwarf tank.

Be careful with pipefish - most are wild caught and it's not a good idea to mix WC pipes with CB seahorses. Also I've heard it can be tough getting WC pipes to eat.

Here is a link to a great article on seahorse tankmates

Seahorse.org Tankmates

I have currently in my future seahorse tank some softies corals (mushrooms, gorg, xenia and gsp) as well as peppermint shrimp, and some kind of goby (came with tank). I plan on adding some gobies and maybe a orchid dottyback.

Carolyn]