Ricordea mushroom removal - Anyone done this?

[Is there a right way to remove a Ricordea Mushroom from a rock so can move to a different place in tank? Will cutting the base at rock do too much damage? Is there some way to just get it to release from rock? Breaking up the rock is really not an option.

These seem to grow so slow for me, I would prefer to so as little damage as possible.

Thank you for any replies.]

[just try your best to scrape it off as close to the rock as you can. Ricordea is very hardy, so I wouldn't worry about hurting it.]

[I just happened to frag my first bit of riccordea a few days ago. I started off with 8 very closely packed on a rock. Now I have 2 loose full size polyps and 12 halves. Despite my butchering, everything is doing fine. So I guess it's pretty hard to kill this stuff.

Chris]

[Very hardy. Very close to mushrooms. You can cut them like a pie into several pieces and all (Ok maybe 95%) will survive! But for moving a whole one I agree just cut as clost to the rock as you can then move it to its new home.]

[Anyone have any recommendation on glue which can get from Walmart, that works underwater and is safe on soft corals. I have been using thread to attach Ric.s to LR, but it is not working all that well.

Thanks]

[The best thing that I have found for ricordia is toothpicks. Stick it through thm into a hole in the rock and with a week or so they'll attach. You can also cover them in bridal veil rubberbanded around the rock and same thing. I have had good success with both. Gluing most soft will be futile and frustrating believe me!!!]

[The glue you mentioned is Super Glue Gel, but as Keith pointed out, it isn't for soft corals/mushrooms.]

[Thanks, the toothpicks had not occurred to me. Will try that and maybe netting.

Glue did not seem to me it would work either on ric tissue. Thanks]

[Something I have done as far as getting them to stick to a rock...
Take a small RubberMaid container (round), and drill holes in it so that water can circulate thru... Then add small rocks, your mushroom, and rubberband a piece of mesh over the top (to keep them in the container). Then place them in a corner of the tank and forget about them for a few weeks. Soon, they will attach to one of the small rocks in the container. Then you can SuperGlue the small rock (and mushroom) to the larger rock of choice.

freddie]

[Another useful tecnique is to 'sew' them into place. Use a needle and thread and pass the thread once through the rico and then either tie the thread to the rock or super glue the thread ends. The trick with this one is not to put any pressure at all on the rico with the thread or it will cut through it - just hold it in place 'til it attaches, then cut the thread and remove it. This is my top choice for attaching leather frags. I also use netting rubberbanded over the rico on a rock method, but the ricos have an annoying habit of flipping upside down under the netting. I also like to put rico cuttings in the cup of gravel-this is the easiest. Good luck! ;)]