Re-Doing 4YR 55 Gallon (BEWARE PICS)

I didnt think it was costly lol. Havnt really looked at startboard prices, and your right, I dont want to crack my glass. 100th Post in here, awesome. Does the design look alright to you?

Yes, that design should work nicely, filter socks also stop microbubbles so that could also help. A piece of starboard for my tank (35"L 17"W) cost $45. So a piece for you would cost maybe $20, but why spend $20 bucks if you don't have to. If you arn't stacking your rocks then I wouldn't get it.

Good Luck

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Ill end up going to Petsmart with a tape measure tomorrow night to get an idea of what I can fit then start my search for the proper sized tank. Your right, $20 can go toward much more. The filter socks will go on my intake for sure now.

I wish my camera would upload....

I would make the return section as big as you could. This will allow more water and less top off. Unless you get your ATO set up when you do the sump, you will probably have to fill her up everyday. The first time I made my sump the return are was small. When I redid it and made it bigger I didn’t have to top off as much. I went from everyday to every third day.

Thanks for the heads up Kevin! Im still trying to figure out if I will be able to run an ATO system and which components I will use. If I do it right I shouldnt need a resivoir right? Ive been looking at the systems on http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html and will probly buy most of the components there. Anyways I can definatly extend the return section 8) .

On another note I just went and picked up my GB Inverts from Jerone. Ive never seen so many critters in one place :shock: haha, at least 6+ Boxes on the floor and they still didnt ship all the critters! I have 157 all together and they are acclimating right now :D . I sure do wish I had my cam working...

Later tonight I will go to the LFS and measure the tanks. I need more top-off water :? . I hate not having a running RO/DI Machine lol.

You might check www.floatswitches.net for the parts you need.

Your skimmer should be in the intake section of your sump, and the compartment should only be large enough to hold the skimmer with its pump and the drain lines.

Having LR in the sump is okay, except it displaces water. So you have less water in the sump, and evaporation will actually appear more quickly because the water level will drop. If the sump has 9g of water in it because of a lot of LR, 1g would be more than 11% missing (estimate). However, if the sump held 15g of water and 1g evaporated, 6% water would be missing. It is still the same gallon that evaporated, but visually (and due to displacement) you'll see 11% drop in the sump vs 6% drop. Hope that makes sense.

On the plus side, once the water level drops and your LR is exposed to air, the room will smell fishy. So you'll have an odor-reminder to top off with more water. :wink:

@Marc wrote:
lol Marc I love it haha. Thanks for all the great info, I know your the "Go To Man" for sumps. As I get more Info on this my final product continues to evolve. Ill probly make a new drawing putting the skimmer in the Intake, Increasing the Return area and putting Less LR in there.

Travis

Today I added a small colt coral from Bill's display tank at Aquarium Trading Co. He is a great person to deal with and the store is looking great. Props go to him and his shop! Ive Known him for 5 years (ever since he was at Boutique) and he even remembers what he has sold me over the years,the tank I have, and he even asked how my 5yr old Maroon pair was doing. That is some serious customer support!

I had a rough acclimation though. Despite his double bagging I ended up causing a leak in it somehow so when I got home I had to acclimated it quicker then I would have liked to. It slouched for the remainder of the light period and is still slouching ,but its night so its tough to judge. Hopefully it will pull through all right because my water quality is just about perfect. I even have good coralline growth on new peices of rock after 1 week! If it does good ill be in search for more cal.

I will try to buy a new USB cable for my cam tomorrow and see if i can post pics of the clean up crew and new coral.

Apologies for my 2:30 am typing and grammar. I know its not the best lol

Travis

The reef is 1 month old after starting rebuild! Well it sure has been a fun month and im not even through yet! I wish i could have pics but i didnt find the USB Cord i needed

<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
The Params-
PH- 8.2
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-20
Alklanity- 3meq/L
Calcium- ??? My test kit is trashed, my only indicator is the fast and plentiful growing corraline!
The Corals-
*Despite the full photo period the colt coral only perked up and opened a few times today. I think its still adjusting.

*The lone red mushroom has doubled it's size. It seems to be happy where its at and hopefully it will split soon so I can have some more

Im still looking for cheap corals to put in here. No more will be added till i get my Nitrate down to 5ppm or less.
The plans for a sump are still underway, I can easily fit a 20L tank in there but Im hoping there is a 30L out there somewhere.

My fuge on the other hand has had a massive Cyano outbreak but you can see small caulerpa leaves growing. I really dont like caulerpa and will start searching for some differant kinds of algea.

All in all I think the tank has made a 180 degree turn around, Not just in looks but also Water quality. I have definatly enjoyed posting here and showing the tanks progress over a month and will continue to do so as long as yall like. I will go look for another USB cable for the cam so I can update the pics.

Thanks for viewing
Travis

Travis, are you coming to Next Wave? I'll be happy to give you a Calcium Test kit that I'm not using. It is opened, and I think I used it twice. As is, of course. :wink:

I sure am trying to go to Next Wave, Never been but it should be fun! Thank you for the offer and I will gladly take it off your hands if i can make it out there! :lol: . BTW isnt it somone's Birthday today, hmmm!? :)

Thanks,
Travis

Okay, remind me to bring it. If you don't, it's your fault. :wink:

Unfortunatly I cant come up with enough money to make it to Next Wave :sad: , But I want to thank you Marc for the generous offer!

Ragged, Share them pics! :D . Anyways ill try to update as much as I can saturday while everyone is out having fun at Next Wave 8)

Ragged- It looks like your doing great. I really like the nano too!

Well guys, I still havnt found a USB cable for the cam yet. Ill be making a trip to frys today since they carry the same cam. On the plus side I got my Nitrates down to 5-10ppm. I also added a leather coral that Boutique had for $25, Which was my next wave money because I didnt get to go :sad:. They had a great selection on friday and the prices were real good. This thing had 6 stalks on 1 rock so I broke the rock apart and spread 2 colonies across the tank, Its a very light pink/white and it looks great. Hopefully ill find the cable today so I can show yall. I also almost bought a used tank to start the sump project but I held back until im sure what I want to do and simply because it was my gas money which would be spend lol.

Thats it for now
Travis