Random Crab - ID?

I just noticed this tan, weird crab in my tank.

Is this guy dangerous to my corals, snails or shrimp?

Sorry for the pic quality
Christmas2007109.jpg
alt="">

Ahh, the infamous random blur crab (Randomica Blurofocus).

Are the tips of his claws sharp, or do they have the little flat pads like emerald crabs? While there's no sure way to ID most crabs of this similar shape, I like to look at whether they bring salad tongs or steak knives to the dinner table.

Can't help with yours unless he looks like this
took me 6 months to get a pic he can be seen
in, I've watched at night and all other times,
and this was the only time I saw more than a
claw sticking out of a hole in the rock. He is not
as blue as it seems in the photo more like the
color in yours. this one is a little smaller than
a quarter legs and all.

But I do think he has steak knives for claws, have
no clue how I'd ever catch him.

WoodDragon

Its a rock crab with the black tips on the claws... its a bad guy. If you can fish him out, do it. Either that or skewer him.

I have to admit I never though about
skewering him, that might be possiable
sometimes I can just see him down in a hole.

WoodDragon

@WoodDragon wrote:
I have to admit I never though about skewering him said:
If you use the metal type skewers, they don't stand a chance. Bamboo ones can break if the shell is thick enough.

Ashlar Wrote

Ahh said:
It's funny to me how often people who want an ID post a picture that looks like that. I didn't even see a crab heck I thought it was a brown clam that wasn't fully open!

No offense to MS71171...it just seems like a Murphy's law thing...

*nod* I wasn't being mean said:
I got a laugh out of it...Jeff was standing behind me and I started giggling. He looked at the screen and said, "What somebody being a smarta**."

Really, those guys are hard to get a decent pic of. At least for me. I know I have tried to get pics of them for an ID before and usually give up.

Not me...it was funny...I laughed anyway...(doesn't necessarily means it's funny though...at least that is what my wife tells me.)