Putting everything together... - What to use to circulate the water.

[Hey, am some know, I got my RO/DI unit yesterday and hooked it up, sand has been taken care of, tank does not leak, rock is soaking, skimmer not needed till later, etc etc.

After I put the sand (w/ some live sand) and rock (w/ some live rock) in the tank with the water, what do I use to circulate the water?

I was told I did not need a skimmer for a while, at least a couple weeks to a couple months, depending on who you talk to.

Anyways, just wanted suggestions for water circulation as I was told and do believe its needed to start up the tank.

Thanks.]

[You'll need a number of powerheads to create good circulation. The Maxijet 1200's are very reliable and relatively small size-wise. Is this going to be a FO (fish only) tank? Fish don't need as much flow as some corals demand.

And I'm one that would disagree about not having a skimmer on the tank. I run mine from day one.]

[It is going to start as only rock and sand for a good while :) as I have quite a bit of Texas holey rock that I want to get "infected" with live rock stuff (as well as lots of sand that needs infected). I will then add fish slowly and let the tank settle or whatever and to learn how to do everything a little at a time. Eventually I will put corals in there and again, do that slowly to try and learn as I go. This process may speed up or slow down depending on outside factors but all in all want to go one step at a time.

Thanks.]

[I'm backing Marc's play on the skimmer from Day 1 - you might not have a lot of livestock but you will prolly have at least one diatom or other algal bloom and that is one of the reasons to have a skimmer going...

And I know from personal experience that you can have diatom blooms from just base rock and water!

Tis far better to be overly-prepared in this hobby than to be watching your tank and livestock going belly-up while you are trying to catch up - they won't wait for you inspite of your good intentions...]

Edited By cpalmist on 1089225267

[3rd on the skimmer.

You'll have much better results if you keep the parameters as good as possible from day 1. This will help your rock and sand critters and bacteria.

Not saying it can't be done without one, but you will be suprised how much stuff it will pull out with only rock and sand in there! It is not a benign environment at all. Just most of the creatures are to small to see!]

[Now ya done it! So what are you thinking then? To Sump or not to Sump, that is the question...whether it is nobler in the minds of men to have Maxijets or to have overflows and sumps and in-line in-tank pumps...

This is a great time to consider this question as it will affect your rock and sand placement (and even your pick of what kind of sand and how deep) and how you anchor your rock pile together and on and on and on.

Time to solicit opinions from the experts so that you can come to an edumacated decision for yourself.

Choose wisely for yourself - this can get to be an expensive decision...]