Protein skimmer suggestions? - (in sump)

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
[I'm jumping the gun here a bit, since I haven't even found the tank setup/deal that I really want yet, but I want to ask anyway.

My plan is to have something tank wise that's reef-ready in the 75-100 gallon range w/ an appropriately sized sump underneath it.

Based on your experiences (and remember, I'm new to this so ease of use will be a factor) what protein skimmer would you suggest?

I'm not overly concerned with cost. Ideally, a used one will pop up with perfect timing, but I'm not opposed to spending $300-$400 for one new. The going rate for ones that seem to fit the tank size looks to be around $350.

The consensus on Reef Central seems to be that the EuroReef and the AquaC skimmers are pretty good. The pictures of the AquaC show a skimmer that appears to be of more sturdy construction.

I know Marc was using an AquaC on his 55, so that's a good sign.]

[Hi Chris,
I use a AquaC Remora Pro w/Mag 5. Its a HOT and sits in my 29 Gal sump and is rated for tanks over 75 Gallon but i'm unsure of its MAX rating. I got it from reefgeek.com ( he has free shipping ) I believe some of the larger tanks on this board have ESV and Euro Reefs which are awesome too!

Andy]

[I would probably go with an ASM, they are the Euroreef knockoffs. They function just as well, and a bit better IMO than the AquaC's. They can be had for about 200$ new.]

[Yes, I had an EV-200 under my 55g for the 2 years I had that tank. I never adjusted a thing in those two years. Just turned it on, cleaned out the cup and riser tube every few days. I cleaned it thoroughly about two to three times a year.

Andy, the Remora Pro (or Urchin Pro for sump use) is rated for a tank up to 125g.

A Euroreef or ASM (ER knockoff) both will do the job and many love them. Personally, I find them to be a tad too rugged and a little more difficult to clean out. But if one fell into my lap, I'd use it. :p

Currently, I'm using a LifeReef skimmer that came with my tank. It is doing a good job pulling out about 1.5 cups of skimmate per day on my 280g reef. Ugly dark green stuff.]

[Euroreef blemishes

Check with them and get on the mailing list. They will mail you a list of the blemishes (glue drip, scratch, etc..) that are priced pretty good. I got a ES 6-2+ for $275. The collection cup leans a little, but it works fine. I couldn't believe the amount of stuff it pulled compared to my cheaper modded Red Sea Berlin and my DIY I tried.]

[Thanks crash519. I went ahead and signed up for the BLEMS mailing list. Be interesting to see if anything crops up.

I was SO close to getting an EV-120 for a great price on RC over the weekend. Oh, well... There will be plenty more opportunities.]

[You can also look on ebay. Some folks sell skimmers used - there are currently 160 listings!

This one is an AquaC, but doesn't state for what size tank:

AquaC

And this one looks like it is being sold by Marine Depot - and the price is a little higher:

AquaC 180 EV

Those two will get you started!]