Pom Pom Crab sighting

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
So for the past week or more, I've been watching for the tiny Pompom to appear. He's sooooo adorable. :love:

He's also about as big across as a single suncoral polyp. These pictures were taken with very little light (100w ceiling lightbulb in the fishroom) because I didn't want him to scurry out of sight with something brighter.

pompom_0301b.jpg
alt="">

pompom_0301a.jpg
alt="">

It's even worse when you keep looking for your little guys and can't find them for days at a time. When you finally see 'em, you grab a camera to document it. :nod:

coool :)

Poms are simply awesome!

I love it when the little ladies pom comes out of hiding!

I was thinking about adding one of these to my grand daughters tank. I have heard stories of peppermint shrimp steeling their pompoms. Do you think this is something to consider. She has a few peps in her tank. I also heard that they will die without their pompoms. Does anyone have a pompom crab living in a tank with peps?

@allhobbs wrote:
I was thinking about adding one of these to my grand daughters tank. I have heard stories of peppermint shrimp steeling their pompoms. Do you think this is something to consider. She has a few peps in her tank. I also heard that they will die without their pompoms. Does anyone have a pompom crab living in a tank with peps? said:
I don't know that answer to that one.

I don't think the crab will die with without their little symbiotic anemones. If they lose one, they'll tear the second one in half to have two again.

She's back!

Last night before Evan left to go finish up on the latest Reefcast... ;)

We took out the suncorals to get his Yasha Goby & Shrimp pair out finally. They are now in his system, and when it was time to feed my Tubastrea tonight, look who else was out. :love:

pompom1.jpg
alt="">

pompom2.jpg
alt="">

When I zoomed in on the Pompom crab, she decided that was much too close and personal. She quickly waved her pompoms (small anemones) to encourage my departure.
pompom2oo.jpg
alt="">

What caught my eye during these pictures was that she is carrying babies again. So sweet.

pompom3.jpg
alt="">

pompom4.jpg
alt="">

The Yasha Goby was out even after all the up heaving of the tank. I've not seen the tiny pistol shrimp yet, but hopefully it will appear soon.

yasha_goby_321.jpg
alt="">

I've got one in my Prop tank, and he only came with 1 anemone. Somehow he also lost that anemone, and is now carrying around a tiny green ricordia, that he must of picked up off the sand. I've tried getting pics, but he never comes out into enough light.

Mine molted for the second time in 3 weeks this saturday. I was really concerned, as I know they don't normally molt that often, but I saw him lastnight at feeding time, waving his 'nems around. No blemishes or fades, so I guess he must have just had a growth spurt...

It's so cool that your's is carrying eggs! Do you think they're fertile? Hmmm.... I wonder if anyone has been able to captive breed any. (getting pom-poms for them would be really tough for when they get large enough...)