PHYTO HARVESTING Question...

Alex

Premium Member
Marc and all, quick question.
After harvesting the phyto and getting ready to start a new batch is it critical to start the new bottle by using half of the bottle of the just harvested phyto?
Can I start the new bottle by only using less phyto? If yes how little can I go?
Last time a got one 2 litter bottle of phyto from Kat and poured a little in each of my four bottles and kept 1/3 of the bottle for my corals. A week and a half later all 4 bottles had crashed... :roll:

The time before, when I started making phyto for the first time, I was able to harvest 2 bottles but I started with the disks and used Melv's recipe with RO/DI water and without the Kent trace elements. This time I added the Kent's trace elements too.

I noticed the ends of the rigid tubing were a little clogged with phyto (maybe dead phyto?). Could that have caused it?
Thank you in advance for all your wisdom.
Alex

You can use less to start a new bottle if you like. I prefer to have about 20 to 25% phyto in the next new bottle personally. You have to add more fertilizer with each new batch.

I don't use RO/DI water, but rather tap water. Nitrates and phosphates are good for algae growth. Odds are you've been reading my phytoplankton page, but you may need to reread it. Let me know if you need the link.

Hey Marc,
what do you mean by "more fretilizer"?

How much more than the 5ml of miracle grow?

And how about the trace elements? sould I increase from the 1ml on the second batch?
Thx Alex

Every new 2L bottle or split gets 5ml Miracle Grow and 1ml Kent's Essential Elements added to the 1.019sg water, which is poured on top of 25% culture from the latest batch.

Thanks Marc,
now I get it. I guess all I have to do next is wait for Kat to make some more phyto so I can start over...
Thanks again, Alex

I should have more at the next meeting, if you can't find any.

Thanks Marc, I'll take you up on that. Please bring it to the next meeting. I'll buy whatever you can spare. I guess I'm gonna need a full bottle to restart the 4 bottles, and anything extra to feed the monsters...

Okay. All I ask is that you PM me 24 hours before the meeting, so I don't forget.