Out on a limb

tesfeld

Premium Member
I've decided to try my luck with the Blue Jaw Trigger that 4Saltwater was selling. He looks really tiny in my 180. I don't think I'll have anything to worry about for awhile, but will keep you posted on his "reef safe" status.

trigger.JPG
alt="">

They are really shy so they're as close to safe as you can get. I will only have to worry about my hermits and cleaner shrimp, but not if I feed him well enough. That's what I've gathered so far about them.

I am glad to see you are giving him a try. He is a good looking fish. Keep us updated. I am looking for a sargassum trigger for my reef. Blue throat and sargassums are as docile as they get.

If he works out you should try to find him a female. I see small female blue throat triggers all the time in fish stores.

Really!? I do want to get one, but have never seen them. I guess that's because I try not to go into the stores so I won't spend...

They look just like the males but without the blue chin. Dallas North has a small female that they have had for a while. Aquatic Design also usually has them.

Here is a picture from Live Aquaria.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=233

Blue throat and Crosshatch are the only two triggers I know of that you can easily tell male from female.

I'm finding the females now that I'm actually looking at triggers. Will I get any benefit out of having a pair other than mating rituals? I'd rather add another fish other than a female if it's not going to provide a show or improved lifespan/personality etc like schooling fish.

There are no other benefits that I know of. Sometimes its just cool to have a pair and watch them interact.