Nuking dead rock

Ok, so I have 100 lbs of dead rock that I have to nuke before I set up my tank. I was told that the best way to prepare it is to soak it in a hydrochloric acid solution

I'm planning on going to home depot to get muriatic acid and bathe the rocks for a couple days. I was told that the acid takes out the phosphates, so how long would it take in order for it to be effective?

You mix 10 gallons of ro/di to 1 gallon muriatic acid and put the dead rock in there for two min and then turn it over for 2 min. Then spray it off with garden hose then soak it in ro/di water for 20 min then let it air dry. You need to wear PPE safety glasses and aquagloves.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Come to think of it, this rock was taken out of a tank three days ago. Would it be foolish to just put it in and start my tank as is?

Here is what I am doing for about 150lbs of rock I picked up and redoing my full setup. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914426

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would just ask here since it is relevant.

I have 85 pounds of dead rock and about 120 pounds of new live rock, do I still need to take steps and "nuke" the old rock or will the new rock , jumpstart the old rock?

I have rotated my rocks many times over the years when reaquascaping or if a piece got especially nasty with algae. A few days in the Texas sun usually turns it bleach white and I hose it off and brush a little if needed. Ready to go back in.

I ended up doing a muriatic acid nuke. What a mess and what a bloody stink! I think it took care of it although some pieces do still have some dried green algae on them. I now have about 50 lbs too much rock anyways