No biobals? - So what then?

[Ok, majority of hobbyist agree that bioballs do more harm than good in a wet/dry filtration system. Therefore, what would be considered a good alternative for bioballs?]

[LR.

I have an area in my sump that is sand, rocks, and caulerpra / tang heaven. Works MUCH better than the bioballs!]

[Matt, didn't know the Xenia worked better for nitrate reduction than the usual macroalgae suspects - what do you recommend for phospate reduction? I got some prolifera that is supposed to be good for phosphate removal but fatal or even deadly to tangs so if there is something maybe a bit more tang/butterfly friendly, I'd be pleased to hear it...
Thanks!]

[Phosban or Rowaphos for phosphate removal. Seriously if you have detectable levels the Macro won't suck up enough quickly to bring it to zero for quite a while. Get it to zero with one of the above then the macro can keep up unless you have something problem that is producing phosphates.]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1094077057

[Macro-algae will remove nitrogen and phosphates. They should have little effect on nitrate reduction. There are only three true nitrate reduction methods. Chemical filtration...chemicals, carbon, etc. Mechanical filtration... primarily water changes but skimming and good water circulation have a very tiny effect. And Biological filtration...Nitrobactar and such (Deep sand beds and plenums)]