New tank..let the upgrade begin=)

After a few weeks of saying watching my 55 cube getting more and more full, and thinking about upgrading to a 90 or 120, I found a deal I just couldn't pass up yesterday. I picked the tank up this afternoon, and here it is.

It is 48x30x21, that measure out to 131 gallons, or actually 130.909 lol
newtank2.jpg
alt="">
Picture to show the Eurobracing..
newtank.jpg
alt="">

This was larger than I was going to upgrade to, as almost everything on my 55 is not near large enough for this tank. Soon I am sure I will have everything from my 55 cube for sale, minus livestock, and right now I am trying to decide exactly what I want to do with this tank.

All I am completely sure of atm is I am going to get 2 vortecs for flow, and lumenarcs in some fashion for lighting. I have a 250 HQI ballast and a relatively new Hamilton 14k bulb, so I would like to be able to salvage that, but I may go with 400s...Dane from Rift to Reef has been SO great in helping me out with this :D

Let the fun begin, because imo this is one of the really fun parts of reefing.

Scott

the build is the best part!

I wish i had a bigger house so i could build a larger in wall setup, would really like to do a plywood tank

Very nice tank. I like the dimensions as well. Mind me asking where you found it and what kind of deal you got?

Keep the updates coming!

If you don't like the luminarcs, look at the sunlight supply version. Saw them at Macna and t hey look very nice.

I picked up the tank from Neptune's Cove. It was a tank he had built for his setup, but ended up not needing. It was 500 bucks, which I didn't think was bad at all. I couldn't pass it up. I've always wanted a tank with a good depth.

I've got to go BB!! The first tank I ever had was DSB, then on my 200, I went SSB, and my current tank is BB. I always thought I would want a little sand down there, but I am really liking BB. The only drawback I've found with it is clams dont appreciate it at all, and there are alot of things I can't keep because I don't have sand. The flow I can throw in the tank is crazy though. On my 55 I have a little over 60x turnover, which I love.

I use zeovit, so, I pretty much count on that to handle my nitrates and phosphates. As long as it keeps doing it's job, we are all happy=) On this tank I may do something like starboard with sand glues on top, but what we did on the 55 was just paint the underneath of the tank a sandy color. My wife had that idea, and she did that. That actually worked better than I thought it would.

Ricky, thanks for the heads up on that 400. I am really trying to decide if I should just sell my 250 setup, and go with 400s. It might be the best bet on this tank.

Glenn, I've been looking at the new SS reflectors as well, they are very nice=) I saw the lumenarcs today at Dane's shop, and I was really impressed. The most difficult thing to me about this tank is finding a pendant that can give me good 2x3 coverage, and I really think, after seeing the lumenarcs, they can. The sunlight supply rep said their new reflectors are really meant for a 2x2, but if you raise them a bit, they can get to 30 inches. I really like the finished look of the SS 'flectors though, really clean.

At only 21" tall. The 250 should be plenty with good reflectors like lumenarcs. Why pay the extra electric when you don't really need to. Nice dimensions on the tank.
Have fun on the setup.

ya I think you are right; that is alot more on the electricity bill for sure. I'm probably gonna paint the back of the tank today...

there are certain reflectors that fit both 400 and 250 bulbs all you do is slide them out further or in per bulb size...might want to look into those just in case you go with a bigger tank

very nice footprint, and i love the braceless design, dont know why more tanks are not like this...looks good, should be fun, i know the set up is always the best part for me...enjoy and most certainly keep us updated...and i may be interested in your 55 when you get ready, let me know...i was lookin for a cube like that...

The stand is going to be here on the 26th, so now to sit on my hands and wait a while. This is a good time to think about what I am going to do over and over and over :D

@spsfreak wrote:
The only drawback I've found with it is clams dont appreciate it at all said:
You might consider using some sort of rock lift system or contraption and using tonga shelf then placing them onto the shelf that way they have some rock to attach to or "burrow" into. That will keep your rock off the bottom, allowing flow under and around them and provide a nice base for the clams that isn't glass.