New sps - New...

G

[First off i want to say that was a great meeting we had! I was the "kid" that bought some Xenia from Nick and had a black hat on (if that narrows it down lol). Well I won 2 times in the raffle and picked up a nice SPS, not sure what type yet. This will be my first sps and i was just wondering what to look out for? Its been in the tank for a few hours and the polyps have extended nicely on all the peices! Im still conerned however :p . Well if anyone has any advice on to look out for in the next few days please let me know! Thanks all.

Heres my tank specs and where i have it:
The frags are all on top of the rock at the higest points. I have them in moderate to high flow areas on a wavemaker.

The tank itself is about 1 1/2 years old, it has 2x24in VHO actinics and 2x 150 6500k Halides. I have a reeftek Ca reactor and the temp is around 76.

Ok ok... I admit i like to talk alot lol...
Thanks for your time
Travis]

[Travis, sounds like you should be in good shape. I have close to the same setup, 90 gallon, 2 4 foot actinic VHOS, and 2x250 MHs and a wavemaker and my SPS does well. You got one up on me with the calcium reactor though!

Good luck and looking foward to trading a frag for a piece of yours once it gets going.

Nick]

[Thanks =), The Xenia you sold me opened up within the first 10 minutes. I did what u told me with placeing a rock on the bottom but my nosey clown thought it was a anemone and jumpred right into it.. its not high on the rock from aggervation :D . Thanks for the boost of confidence!

Travis]

[Sounds good to me too. Did you glue the frag in place so it will 'feel' stable? SPS grow better when they are in place and not loose.

Glue it to a small piece of LR with super glue GEL. Dry off the spot on the rock with paper towels, and the base of the coral as well. Take your time as the coral can be out of water for a while. It doesn't take long to glue it, but if the coral is out of water 10 minutes, that is fine.

Try not to handle the coral too much, because your fingers will be squishing the outer tissue on the branches.

Post some pictures, or take some now. Then in 6 months take some more and you can compare size, shape and coloration changes.]

[Thanks Marc, I Prepared a small peice of Rock and put some super glue jel and let it sit to where it was almost hardened then places the Frag on it. I handled the Frag less then 30 seconds and was as carful as i could be. Now i have the Frag's rock wedges into place on the top agian. The smaller peices that were broken off are also wedged in places along the top. All polyps are out once agian. they are neon green :D . Thanks for the Info Marc i feel more secure about it not faling to the sandbed and dieing. Thanks agian! Ill take some pics but they wont be as good as yours. I guess waiting a year and a half pays off for SPS and Xenia!

Travis]

[Sounds good. I intentionally included all those little twigs in some of the baggies in case some die-hard SPS guys were wanting to use ever bit of life they could.

Pictures are pictures. Some are great, some not so hot. Here's a picture of a little Acro crab I took on the meeting day:

crabinthehand.jpg
alt="">]

[Thats cool, Its looking straight up at you lol. Ill get some pics on here Soon! The sps still look good, The polyps are extended. The peice is starting to turn colors on me from a light brown to more greenish color!

Travis]