New 210 Gallon Dream Tank Build

Like you i had never cycled a tank with dry rock before. different ballgame huh, plus it takes forever.

My system has been up and running (relatively stable) for about 6 months now. Coralline everywhere. I do have a sand bed so we are not exactly the same.

I can keep clams (with growth), LPS, nems and softies. SPS dies within a week.

I blame the lack of diversity in bacteria. Will look for some bacteria to dose, but will not plan to put any more SPS in maybe until next year?

Jo

Like you i had never cycled a tank with dry rock before. different ballgame huh, plus it takes forever.

My system has been up and running (relatively stable) for about 6 months now. Coralline everywhere. I do have a sand bed so we are not exactly the same.

I can keep clams (with growth), LPS, nems and softies. SPS dies within a week.

I blame the lack of diversity in bacteria. Will look for some bacteria to dose, but will not plan to put any more SPS in maybe until next year?

Jo
I started my 75 gallon with dry rock so got some experience there. However with turbo start , Microbacter and using maxspect bio media , I feel the tank has cycled well so far. I am not able to rush this due to various reasons so I am ok with waiting to build this up slowly. Been amazed at how fast you setup yours with fish and clams . 👍

I started my 75 gallon with dry rock so got some experience there. However with turbo start , Microbacter and using maxspect bio media , I feel the tank has cycled well so far. I am not able to rush this due to various reasons so I am ok with waiting to build this up slowly. Been amazed at how fast you setup yours with fish and clams . 👍
I think I'm just naïve about dry rock tanks in general. Prior to this tank, the previous tank was set up about 10 years ago, so import Fiji rock was a thing. Probably had a ton of bacteria in it from the start. you could cycle a tank pretty fast back then.

I am surprised about the clams too.