New 120, Livestock Pics 10/29

sublime-1

Membership Expired
Ok,

So I got my first couple inhabitants.

I stopped by Neptune's and there was just too much coolio stuff to pass up...

Bright Green Bubble Tip Anemone w/ Pair of GSM clowns

GBTA.jpg
alt="">

Green and Blue Galaxia

galaxia.jpg
alt="">

Yellow Tipped Torch

torch.jpg
alt="">

Congrats on the new additions! That BTA looks like it's bleached...you might want to make sure it gets fed once or twice a week to see if it turns around.

It's actually just the picture.

It's a lime green color and under actinics it looks like bright electric green.

I mixed up a solution of Marine Flakes, a cyclops cube and a 1/4 cube of invert food.

I turkey basted in and around all the new pieces... I am going to pick up some Krill and some brine at the LFS today to target feed.

Any other recommendations on diet for the Nem ? Specifically, frozen vs. fresh, and what types ?

Thanks

Nice selections (though don't over do it on a new tank :D ). But I agree that the anemone looks bleached - I am sure it has color, but anything that looks (and sounds) that bright sounds unnatural. Bleaching and dying of animals like these is not unusual, sadly. So I would definitely pay special attention to getting food to that anemone, because it definitely looks a touch sketchy to me too :(

Microbubbles are most likely due to new plumbing.

I am hoping once it slimes over it will slow the bubble issue.

BD

I just let my bubble have some of the bigger PE mysis shrimp when I feed.

Bill gets in a lot of bubbles that look that way. If those are bleached then he needs a new source. I personally think they are ok though if you have halides it may darken up on you. Sometimes Bill has them with peach tips. Those are really cool looking.

So,

Alot of the microbubbles have started to diminish as the piping and stuff has started to slime over.

Plus, I added a 250micron sock to the output of my skimmer so that has helped some.

Here are some crappy pics, but you can see progress. All animals except the Anemone are doing great. I really think he's just ornery and moody.

He'll stay under the rock for an hour or two, then come out and play with the clowns, he eats 2 silversides no problem, I don't even have to cut them up anymore.

I am also spraying in some phyto, cyclops and mysis mixed together to feed the tank. The galaxea and torch love that mix. It's just the frozen cubes all together in a shot glass, then I dip the Silver Sides in, feed the nem, and then dose the tank with food.

MY FAVORITE CORAL

galaxea1.jpg
alt="">

full.jpg
alt="">

GSM-NEM.jpg
alt="">

gsp1.jpg
alt="">

torch1.jpg
alt="">

good luck with the nem and galaxia, hopefully the nem will get better and your galaxia will live on, they seem to be hard to keep. The nem being shy can be normal for bleached or semi bleached nems as they are probably not used to alot of light. Over time he should get used to your lights and stay out.

Thanks WeMa.

The galaxia is actually doing remarkably well. He likes it in the middle between the two coral heads. There is very little flow, and alot of light.

I am running 14k Hamiltons and the overlap between the two hits him right at center. (but he's under the centerbrace so he gets an indirect hit of light.)

Plus they're only 150W halides, so it's not like he's in SPS central or anything.

I hope he continues to do well too because he's my favorite. (well, that and my wife's torch is already spreading out like a weed so I can't let her selection diminish mine.)

Brad

Hi,

Good to hear everything;s doing great. As far as feeding the nem, I would suggest not feeding it large/whole pieces of silversides, it's much better to feed smaller pieces. A lot of times nem's will regurgitate whole/large offering at night when the lights are off...then the clean-up crew......well....cleans it up. :wink: It's a good idea to do as you were before, squirt mysis etc into the tenticles and allow it to feed that way. Just a suggestion. :wink: :)

Cheers,

I took your suggestion and squirted it a syringe full of mysis shrimps.

It scarfed them up and retracted, i am assuming to swallow.

Glad everything seems to be doing well too.

Brad

:lol:

gsma.jpg
alt="">
gsmb.jpg
alt="">
gsmc.jpg
alt="">

My galaxia was my first coral and is a great first coral. It quadrupled in size in six months and I fragged it and got rid of all of it because I wanted to do sps, and a little piece managed to get on one of my rocks and has now grown into another colony. It's almost like GSP. So I put a rock on top of it to discourage it, and still it lives on. So if it behaves maybe I'll let it stay in my tank. I don't know how to kill it and would feel bad anyway.

Kay

The best part to me Kay, is that it can be totally dormant looking, with very little exposed polyps, and when I feed the Nem, or spray in mysis for the fish, it's little sweepers comes out in full force.