Nassarius snails doing something?

GrannyReefer

Premium Member
This morning I found a whiteish substance on the aquarium glass that had a small bubble or egg like apperance to it. It is clear to white (mostly clear) and tonight I saw two of my Nassarius snails on the glass in approximately the same area and they are dipositing more of the bubble stuff. It is approx. half the size of a dime and is stuck on the glass.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what this might be? I tried to find something on it in my books but was unable to find anything.
I wish I could post some pictures but I haven't got into that yet. :)

They are laying eggs.. I am not sure if they can hatch out successfully though as some snails go through stages of development that are hard to support/survive in our tanks. They are harmless and who knows, maybe you will have some new snails eventually.

Thanks Dave3, I would feel so lucky to have baby snails with the parents being in my tank!!!! Sadly though this morning my tangs was picking at the eggs on the glass. I fed the fish right away and they seem to have stopped for now, most likely though the damage has already been done or at least probably will be, just a matter of time.
It was way cool to watch the snails lay the eggs during the wee hours of the morning, actually more than I would have ever expected from them. Gosh, it is so great to watch all the growth and interaction that goes on in the aquarium. What a hobby (way of life).... :)

Well last night was the third consecutive night that the snails laid more eggs? on the glass, they stay in the same spot for over an hour and one was there about three hours it's spot. And again the fish was picking at them a little this morning but there is quite a lot that doesn't seem to be touched. We'll wait and see what happens. I am be very careful not to clean around the area at all so as not to disturb them myself. :)