My Tank Build Retrospective (Oceanview 140RR)

I really can't call it a tank build thread since I have it finished. But I have been taking some pictures along the way and wanted to share. I just had Dan Turner of DCT's Woodcraft finish the cabinet framing so except for adding some cooling fans I consider the construction part of the tank build complete.

We moved into our new house March of 2006. My old tank was a custom built 60 gallon tank that really did not fit anywhere in the new house. I decided that the best place for the new tank was the existing builtin TV cabinet in the family room.

The first set of pictures shows the cabinet and how I modified it to build a stand to support the aquarium. I removed the front doors, the TV shelf and the shelves in the bottom. I got down to the concrete foundation. I then made a frame out of 2x6 and used car jacks to elevate the frame into place. I then measured and cut the legs for each corner and then reinforced the bottom with a 2x6 that goes along the concrete. All of the 2x6 wood I sealed with deck sealer. I then sealed the sump area with a mastic goo that looks like rubber cement.

I had Marc make me the sump. The tank is an Oceanview that I them custom build to the same dimensions as the Oceanic 140 RR. The reason I had Oceanview do it is I wanted it Eurobraced and Oceanic would not do this. For those not familiar Eurobracing is using a 2" wide strip of glass around the entire top edge of the aquarium to provide the top support for the tank. Oceanic uses a center brace and it is 15" or 18" wide on the 140. No center brace makes it easier to do maintenance and I don't have to worry about shadows. I could actually get the Oceanview custom built cheaper than the standard Oceanic.

The power center I made with the American DJ power centers. I wired them to outlets so I could have control with switches. The only place I could fit it was in the sump. I also have an outlet in the very top cabinets where the light ballasts, vortech pumps, and fans are plugged in.

These final pictures show the setup before Dan did his magic. Since I was building it into the existing TV builtin, I really did not have any good ideas of how to "finish" it off. I knew I wanted doors that opened to the side to get access to the tank and doors on the side of the tank to get access to the vortech pumps but I really could not visualize how to make this happen. The last picture is the cabinet work complete. I think is looks great considering Dan had to match the door styles and also the stain color.

I'll add more info about my tank and equipment as I have time. I just wanted to get this started!!

That really looks great Steven. I remember when you came out with your life-sized blueprints to literally lay everything out on them to make sure it would fit as planned.

So you made some type of cover to keep the plugs dry? I like that.

very neat idea, i really like how it turned out, looks clean and professional...nice job...i was thinking about doing something similar with the holes next to my fireplace but it just wasnt the right set up for me. Looks good, nice job...any tank close up pictures?

its crazy how that cabinet space made your tank look so small. You had a lot of room to work with. It looks really good.

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to try to get some pictures soon. It was hard getting some good shots before I had the cabinet work done because the light was too bright.