My New 150 gallon

DaMenace

Membership Expired
So this is my new tank that I will try to make a reef system with.

alt="">

alt="">

I haven't used a trigger skimmer system before so any advice would be great!

Also looking into some LED lighting, so far I have seen some Hydra Fanthoms and Ecoray 112d? What do y'all think of those??

If I recall correctly, the TS skimmers are Beckett style so you'll need a relatively powerful pump to run it. I think the one I had ran off a Mag Drive 9.5. Keep the injection nozzle clean with vinegar soaks every now and then. Do you plan on running a controller of some sort? If so, I would recommend a float switch or water sensor that will turn the skimmer off if your collection cup gets too full or overflows if you plan to run it externally as it looks like you will in the photo. You may want to consider running the skimmer in-sump or running a larger sump if that is in the budget.

I haven't tried either of those LED fixtures so I can't really comment on them.

It came with a Mag 8 but will definitely look into something bigger. I have not looked into a controller but will definitely look into it as well. I was thinking of running it in the sump. It actually fits in the one there now. I'll get pics of it later. It did run through my mind to get a bigger one because I'm not too sure of the current one now. It shows to have a drilled hole on each end. One obviously is/was for the skimmer and I'm guessing the other one was for an external pump??? I dont know if I want to go that route of an external pump since I am sure it will create more noise that an in sump one.

Any thoughts on that?

What LED fixtures would you recommend??

I'm thinking of opening the canopy up from up top to hang the fixtures from the ceiling or having someone build some in my canopy now.

Try running it with the Mag 8 first. I had to dial down my Mag 9.5 when it was all said and done. Yes, I would guess that the sump you have is setup for an external pump like a reeflo. Plenty of people run external pumps without issue and hopefully they will chime in as to the pros and cons. I think one of the advantages of an external pump is that you don't get as much heat transfer to your water. Of course, there are DC pumps these days that use minimal power and running LEDs takes care of one of the biggest heat issues.

Personally, I am a fan of AI lights like the Hydra 52 and Hydra 26. You can find previous generation used lights as well and save a bit if you look for the AI Vega or AI Hydra lights. I like the control options, customer service and support, mix of colors, and the available upgrade paths (although I always seem to just sell my old fixtures and buy new ones) available in the AI lights . Lots of other people have great success running Ecotech Radions, Maxspect Razors, Kessil pendants, Reef Radiance LEDs, doing DIY LED builds, etc. There are literally hundreds of options out there and it just depends on what type of budget and features you have in mind.

Great, thanks a lot on your input. I'll look into it. This tank has one overflow on one side. Notice three holes drilled where the overflow is located. I'm used to 2 holes drilled for the over flows. Any ideas what the third one could be used for? I should have asked the seller but was a bit excited at the time to get this home and start the project. I just made sure the skimmer worked and the tank held water.

Multiple drain or multiple return setup. Are two of them the same size and, if so, are they larger or smaller?

alt="">

Looks like 1 is a little smaller than the other two holes.

I might be going with some LEDs, 2 reef radiance Dm-155e. Reviews are pretty good and in my budget.