My first frag attempt - Finger leather

[Hello,

I have finger leather that is doing a bit too good in my tank, and I want to fragment one of the primary limbs to give more room to my alveporia. Here is a picture of the situation:

14381617_6dd72ae250_b.jpg
alt="">

Please advise me on the proper technique to sever that left branch. I suppose an exacto blade of a larger caliber, or surgical blades, right?

When I've amputated the limb, will I need to doctor the exposed flesh? Do I need a piece of rock ready to apply to the raw flesh?

Thank in advance. =)]

[I have always used/seen used a pair of good sharp scissors. Just slide them in an cut it off. There is no need to doctor the exposed fleash. Yes would try to get the frag attached ASAP. I usually will use a rubberband and either pinch the base of the frag between a semi tight rubberband and a rock or better yet pinch the frag between two rocks held together with a rubber band. Not the only way but one that has worked for me in the past. One side note, you do realize that the part you leave behind should/will just grow back so this may not be a long term solution to giving your alveporia some growing room.]

[Salt is right on. An Exacto works great also. Just rubber band loosely to another piece of rock and it will attach wih a couple weeks. The area you cut will heal over in no time!]

[Here are my results of the first amputation.
Exactly how loose should the rubber band be around the new fragment?
I?m afraid it might be too tight, but the coral tucked itself in tight, shriveling to its most compact size. What I mean to say it is not so soft right now, where the constricting rubber band could cause stress. One thing that was shocking to me was that I sensed the coral reacting to the incision by sort of squeezing my blade. So I had to stop slicing, and widen the separation a few times.

Thanks a whole lot!

14404419_1fd719651a.jpg
alt="">

14404420_2376a4c986.jpg
alt="">]

[That is normal. The coral was being cut (I use a straight razor blade with this type of coral), and will shrivel up. If it shrinks up a lot, it can blow right out of the rubberband and travel. So you'll have to find the correct tension, or do as Stanley suggested by wedging it between a couple of rocks until it attaches to one or both.]

[The only thing your doing with a rubber band is holding it stable on the rock so it has a chance to attach sp pretty loose!]