Mmm... fake moonlight - Asthetic or has purpose

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
[I just added a "moonlight" to my tank and have a question about it.

Forget the marketing hype from the light companies... Other than the fact that it makes my tank look really cool at night, do moonlamps really serve a purpose?]

[Generally I would say they are mostly for looks. But in the Ocean, the moon cycle, time of the year, water temperature and other factors control coral spawning.
And some moonlights can simulate the moon cycle. And there have been cases of corals spawning in reef tanks that may been affected by the moonlight.]

[We don't know yet. Corals in nature follow a naturel cycle.. Is it a moon cycle or a tidal schedule.. That is, we can mimic the natural moon cycles in , Varying length and intensities, per an artificial moon cycle, But we may be spinning our wheels? The true cycle (what the corals experience ) might be title cycles, that are caused by the moon, but can' t be replicated in a tank. Not yet.]

[I do know that Eric B. was telling us over the weekend the corals out in the gulf at the Texas Flower Gardens, spawn every year so many days following the full mooon in August. And out there in the Gulf there is no tide.
I know from past experience from one very large table coral during two or three full moons in the spring months, the coral spawned in my tank. And I run a moon simualtor program with an Aquacontroller. It was sure strange the only time I ever saw it spawn was when there was a full moon in the tank.]

[Tide cycles are on a much shorter span then lighting cycles. If it were caused by tide cycles corals would spawn multiple times each year.]