Marine Hermit Help/Adoption

Hi All,

Let me start off with a bit of background:

I am new to the forum. My name is Sarah and I am currently the adoption coordinator for the Hermit Crab Association. We provide care guides and information for the coenobita species (terrestrial hermit crabs).

During the summer we get an influx of adoptions from people who beach comb and end up with stowaway marine hermits in their shells. By the time they find out, they are too far away to return the little guys back to the ocean where they belong.

I have a family in Richardson that contacted me and asked if I could help rehome. They don't know what species it is; they took it from Galveston so I'm assuming it is a thin striped hermit.

Someone on another forum told me that I could jump start a habitat for it with live sand, and as long as I used Instant Ocean (which we use for our land crabs) for the water, and provided heat, aeration, etc. that the crab would be fine. However, I have also been informed that without a properly cycled saltwater setup, the nitrates will kill the little guy off.

If there is anyone who can help me or knows someone with a quarantine tank or can take this guy in, he is being brought to me tomorrow evening and I do NOT have the proper setup to keep him indefinitely.

Admins, please forgive me if this isn't considered an "actual" emergency, I understand completely how frustrating it is when people post in the wrong thread. The reason I am posting it here is because I believe it is time sensitive and I don't want this little crab to die.

You can set up a small ecosystem immediately, and use Prime in the water to keep ammonia and nitrite locked up. It won't be ideal, but you could use a bag of livesand to help with some biofiltration too.