Mantis Shrimp

I've been thinking about starting a tank with a mantis shrimp. They just seem really interesting and beautiful. My question is, how do you do in tank maintenance with something like this in the tank? Things like scraping glass or vacuuming sand, redoing rock work etc.

I just stink my hand in and clean of the glass and do whatever. The mantis just stares at me. Doesn't come up and strike or anything. I think after feeding her for quite a while she came to trust me and knows who I am.

Mag Floats, gravel vacs for cleaning and if you don't feel comfortable placing your bare hand in there, some thick rubber gloves would help or Aqua Tongs are a good idea. Depending on the size and what type of mantis it may not be a big concern. My tiny N. wennerae I don't worry about but I had two big peacocks that I always made sure I could see them clearly before doing any work in the tank. They are just like any other dangerous creature in a tank. You need to be aware of their behavior and where they are before doing anything inside the tank. I never had any mantis attempt to strike at my hand but they will sure stare you down while your working in their tank.

My paevovk has tagged me twice, as ling as its on a soft part of your finger your ok, if it hit a bone that would hurt. Mine is about 8".

Hes in a 12g nano with 2 Picasso clowns a small regal tang and a blue damsel, has been for a while, he came with the damsel. I keep lots or corals in there too. I just dont feed him fish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2