Low Flow vs High Flow For Seahorses

TiberianSun

Premium Member
Hi All,

My wife and I are looking at building a new tank with a variety of fish, coral, and SPS. This will replace our current 92G corner tank. I've been doing some reading on Seahorses and was also told that Seahorses do best with low flow tanks but the other items we plan to put in the tank like tangs, wrasse, etc will want high flow.

The tank will be between 300 & 350 gallons so is it possible to create a mixed flow tank where the center of the tank has less current? Is this something that I even need to worry about with Seahorses?

Thanks,

I wouldn't mix seahorses with those fish. They are poor swimmers and have weak immune systems. They would do better in a smaller tank by themselves or with slow fish.

Mike

You won't be able to keep seahorses in a tank that size with those tankmates. I know of someone who used an acylic cylinder with tiny holes to make a separate mini tank inside there main reef tank to house seahorses only, however it is not recommended.

A mixed reef sounds great for a tank that size though, and don't worry as you've been bitten by the sw bug. Setting up another tank for seahorses if you still want to have them will be a great plan.