Lighting question.

Hi, and thank you for reading. I have a question, and while thinking about it it may come off as a dumb question, but advertizing gets me. :oops: Currently I am running a 4x 54 watt compact flourescent lighting set-up on a 55 gallon tank. I have been reading about some other types of lighting and stumbled across a 4x 54 watt t5vho set-up. While reading about the t5 set-up it says that even though it is rated at 4x 54 watts you actually get more wattage, almost double what it is rated for. Is this possible, and if so how is it possible, or is this a selling tactic? :? I love the reef set-up I have, but would really like to go with better lighting so I can enjoy some of the more beautiful corals although I have grown a love for zoas and palys. :D

@jawdubb wrote:
Its wattage equiv on output not pure wattage power usage wise. The numbers 4 x 54 for example are usage, not output. T-5 will have a higher par and thus more light than a CF bulb that uses the same wattage. They are more energy efficient that way because you can use fewer bulbs and get more output.