Lifespan for skunk cleaner shrimp?

Hey all,

Does anyone have a general idea of the lifespan for these fellas, I just lost one that I've had for about 4 years and wonder if I should suspect my recently resurfaced (long-thought dead) emerald crab.

At least I hope it is the emerald and not some other predatory crab. I haven't introduced anything new to the tank for over 6 months and then they were just small frags, so I assume this crab (who I can only see the occasional small piece of) is my long lost emerald. He's quite adept at hiding so I haven't even been able to see his coloration, only the occasional shaded leg or carapace.

The skunk and the emerald seemed to coexist without incident before the crab disappeared (for over a year), so I think it may just have been pierre's time, but if these guys have a significantly longer lifespan, then perhaps something is amok.

Any ideas?

I would try to get a better look at that emerald.

I was in the same situation. After not seeing an emerald for months he popped back up.....or so I thought.

After a few fish started disapearing I got a better look at him. it looked just like an emerald, but darker. He did not have the pads on his claws either.

So after months of trying to catch him I finally found him on top of a piece of live rock. I pulled the whole rock out and put him in my fuge. It was a rock crab.

Emeralds and Cleaners should get along fine, but make sure it is in fact an emerald.

No idea... lobsters live a VERY long time.. so do Crabs. Imagine Shrimp have a limited span though. I've seen some huge ones, I have a couple of very large ones, but have seen some about 4" long and 1/2 to 3/4" across at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.