Life expectancy of cleaners and fire shrimp

slgcmg

Premium Member
What is the life expectancy of these shrimp. In particular, I can't keep my fire shrimp alive. Last one died right after molting

I purchased a pair in August 2010 that were about 1 1/2 inches. They were suppose to be a bonded pair, one lasted about a month due to the other harassing it. The other molts often and is HUGE (IMO) -- over 3 inches. He doesn't tolerate other shrimp at all. It is an all day chase if other shrimp are in the tank. At time of purchase, I expected and hoped for a 3 year life from what I found on the internet. I have no idea how long they really live as I had never purchased them prior, but mine seems very healthy -- I've had him for over 3 years and don't know how old he was when I got him. I do want to say that right after a molt, they can appear lifeless ... and even float around. There have been a few molts that he didn't come out of very well and had missing antenna and legs (that later grew), and he is still here and always comes out of his molts now as a whole shrimp. I've taken other shrimp and crabs out that I thought were dead but weren't -- usually causing damage when I removed and they were not able to recover --

I still haven't learned to keep my hands out of the tank. I will be posting my latest later today in the breeding section -- Pulling an emerald I thought was dead but was laying eggs w/ pics. Sick to my stomach over this one.

Make sure your alk ca and mg are in check if they are not usually the shrimp die at molting.

I have had my fire shrimp for over 3 years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My fire shrimp was molting about every 2 weeks up until he died.

My calcium is 380-400 range, alk test shows 9 dkh.. Have never tested for mag and don't dose it. I do dose Bionic 2 part daily though, I thought that had all the trace elements they needed???

@slgcmg wrote:
My fire shrimp was molting about every 2 weeks up until he died. My calcium is 380-400 range said:
You need to test for mg if you have a reef tank as mg is what keeps alk and ca in balance. Low mg can interfere with molting

It makes me sad there doesn't seem to be probes for mg or other items to be hooked up to a apex controller. How awesome would it be to have an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate probe!!!

@slgcmg wrote:
Mag was at 1380 Calcium 360 Alk 11 dkh said:
Mg is good. calcium is a little low and alk is a little high.

Did you dip any corals in bayer insecticide recently?

Also check salinity if you have a refractometer. I killed my peppermint shrimp when I accidentally lowered my salinity to hypos salinity levels

Never dipped any corals before. Didn't even know that was possible. Still relatively new to full reefs.

Salinity is 1.23

My nitrates are between 20 and 30, could that be it?

Should I stop dosing the b-ionic 2 part to lower the alk?