Leathers - not hard at all.

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
If you watched A. Calfo's presentation at Next Wave, you saw how he cut up a toadstool leather into a bunch of tiny chunks, each with the potential to grow a new coral one day.

So here's what my chunk looked like, about two years ago. And coincidentally, it was a MACNA workshop which Anthony taught as well.
prop_fragged.jpg
alt="">

When I got home, this is what it looked like after a few hours in my tank.
prop_newfrag2.jpg
alt="">

Okay, fast forward about 2.5 years. Here's the toadstool.
toadstool_012906.jpg
alt="">

Could it have grown more quickly? Yes. There were a number of issues that occured during the past that inhibited its growth, including using aluminum-based phosphate remover, a tang named Nibbles that chowed down on those tentacles, stinging by other corals, lack of space, etc...

It needed to be moved as I worked in the tank yesterday, and it wouldn't stay in place. So this is what I did until it attaches itself to some LR.
toadstool_mounting.jpg
alt="">

So you could say this coral will never get fully away from my rubberbands. :lol:

If you would like to see more images about propagating this coral, check this link: http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/macna15/macna_workshop.html

I have a leather that I have to frag, so I'm glad I got a change to ask Anthony Calfo about it. (Mine is at the bottom of a very tall tank, and on a large rock.) It is rather fortunate Anthony was a speaker this year :wink: