Is this harmless? Bristleworm? (just attacked new snails)

Wester97

Membership Expired
I just added to my clean-up crew and these 2 guys came out to investigate:
2147a.JPG
alt="">

What are they, and are they harmless?

As I typed this one of them grabbed a group of 4 snails and tried to move them back to his 'lair'. Help!

(adjusted brightness - no tank lights on right now.)

how many snails did you add? where did you get them? if they were dead or about to die already when you added them that is what they were attracted to.

Oh wow!! Those things give me the willies!!

I would never want something that big in my tank!! I'm shivering just looking at that pic. If they are smaller, I don't mind. But they all get bigger like that eventually.

I've never seen them outstretched like that. at night they are 1 or 2 inches at most. I added quite a few snails from reeftopia. They were all alive, but the worms were definitely interested.

What should I do? Is there danger of them eating my LIVE snails?

get all the snails, put them in something where you can clearly see them all move, and ill bet there are a couple that dont...i doubt it will eat your live snails, i doubt it could get to the meat of an astrea if it was alive and trying to stay closed up

I moved all of the snails to the top of the rock work. If there are any that didnt survive I'll be able to catch them there.

Those things freak me out.

They are our friends. Just like Wes said if they were eating the snails then they were either dying or are already dead. The worms are doing you a favor, they are part of your clean up crew also.

Totally agreed they are part of a CUC. But still... I don't know how I feel about one that big. It gives me the...

[WILLIES!!!!]

@Ant_Knee wrote:
talking about willies said:
I just got rid of one like that - he was hiding under one of my zoa rocks that appeared to be attacked, not sure if he was bothering them or not

The first Pic looks like the ones I pulled out a few days ago. I agree that they are good for our tanks but cant help but wonder if they get predatory as they get larger. After removing the ones I found I noticed my Zoas and some of my LPS are opening more. This could be coincidence but I have read somewhere that some one bought some Peppermint shrimp for their fugue and when introduced to the system one begin to molt and during the process it was attacked by bristle worms. I don?t know the specifics and I?ll see if I can find the web page again but it just has me wondering..

The longest worm I have is just over 8 feet now (well at least the part that I can see)! It always amazes visitors when they see him eating algae... oh he will eat left over food, but seems to prefer the algae. If I ever try to put any algae in the tank for my tangs he gets to it first, wraps himself around it and pulls it back into his rock. He is also the one that finally took out the Caulerpa problem that I got myself into 7 years ago. It was because of this that I noticed him in the first place; he annihilated all the Caulerpa prolifera that no one else would touch. He has never bothered any coral or clam in the last 7 years since I first found him and keeps my big tank very clean. Now if only I could do the same for my 18 gallon. I love him as much as my fish!

Now if you want to find a really scary worm, search for "Bobbit Worms" (Eunice aphroditois). I have only encountered one of these myself and fortunately it was only about 1 foot long instead of the 3 meters :eek: that have been recorded!

FIREWORM!!!!

I found one about 2ft when I purchased my tank from someone on craigslist. Good thing I saw him before sticking my hand in!

@Michael_Wamsley wrote:
The longest worm I have is just over 8 feet now (well at least the part that I can see)!! said:
8 FEET???? What do you feed it? Small children? Take it down to the stockyards once a month?

I used to coax it out of it's home with a sheet of algae and bring it up to the school to show my classes. Last time I did this was 3 years ago (a little under 5 feet at the time); I was showing how big it was to the class and I got a little too close. It curled around my arm and I have never had so many ?hairs" in my arm before, I looked like an albino gorilla. The worst part is I forgot about what can happen if you do not completely break the bristles off before you use the restroom. :oops:

@Michael_Wamsley wrote:
The worst part is I forgot about what can happen if you do not completely break the bristles off before you use the restroom. :oops: said:
Not sure what that means...?!
Excuse my ignorance... I never seen one, much less handled one that long...

So for those of you that caught these guys/removed them, what method did you use to capture them?

@v320"]

Michael_Wamsley wrote:
The worst part is I forgot about what can happen if you do not completely break the bristles off before you use the restroom.
icon_redface.gif
alt= wrote:
<blockquote>

Not sure what that means...?!
Excuse my ignorance... I never seen one, much less handled one that long...

So for those of you that caught these guys/removed them, what method did you use to capture them?

What is really bad is I did the same basic thing 2 years prior to this with a long spine black urchin... talk about PAIN. This is why I had to wait 6 years to have kids :oops: ... JK (about the reason, not the pain)!!!

The Polychaete (literally translated as "many chaetae" or "lots of setae" = bunches of bristles... bristleworms) worms are in the Phylum Annelida and are closely related earthworms. Their segmented bodies have an upper and lower bundle of bristles on each side that number upwards to the millions. Free-living bristleworms use their chaetae with their segmented snake-like body to wiggle through the water. It is also their defense against predators and acts very similar to fiber glass. Some Polychaete have modified bristles that carry a venom (Fireworms= Amphinomidae family), the bristles have evolved into highly defensive organs. Some of these guys have a toxin they derive from the corals and sponges they eat.. so they are double bad.
"Most fireworms are scavengers in tropical marine environments, albeit a few of the about 120 species are predatory, and one or two are parasitic.- Ron Shimek"
They have hollow tubes filled with this toxin that they use as a type of syringe. The bristles are fragile and easily broken when you come in contact with the worm. This causes excruciating pain. Fortunately for us the carnivorous ones are very rare in our hobby, the most common of these coming form the Caribbean live rock. Fortunately for me mine was not a Fireworm, but just imagine having fiberglass in sensitive places that were never meant to be unprotected to the "elements".

The bristles found in worms that live in tubes or burrows (sessile or sedentary worms) have often evolved into hooks to help anchor the worm in place. Sedentary worms make a whole variety of homes. Many make a hard calcareous tube (C - Spirorbis), which is attached to a hard surface or even large algae. Other sedentary worms have a leathery tube, sometimes decorated with pieces of broken shell, or sand and mud particles.

Free-living worms include carnivores (mostly the Eurythoe & Eunice) or herbivores/scavenger (the vast majority), but there are also the sedentary worms that feed on microscopic plants and animals or fine particles these include the "feather" dusters. There are also hundred of invertebrates that are highly prized that we do not even notice are Polychaete worms because of the burrows & tubes they create. These guys are what give us the vast majority of natural zooplankton in our tanks.

Most of these guys I would want to keep (like the Nereidae spp,I think, that was originally pictured at the top of this link) just like you want earthworms in your garden. If you just cannot stand the "bristleworms" then there are several commercial traps, but what works best is the same thing that works best to get the bristles out of you skin... pantyhose. Just get some pantyhose, put some fish food in them. When the worms come out to do their job and clean the left over food, they will get caught in the pantyhose and you can remove them. Just remember by doing so you could possibly be removing the most beneficial and effective scavenger in your tank.

If you would like to learn more a great place online is:
http://www.ronshimek.com/
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rs/index.php
These four sites have more GREAT and accurate detailed information (pictures included) on these worms than any where else I know, including my old Invertebrate Zoology books!

or if you are interested in "the bad guys" only is this group check out
http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/0198/0198_2.html
Note not all fireworms eat corals, so I do not consider fireworms to really be bad, just good at defense!