Is my nem dying? Should I remove him?

Andrew6000

Membership Expired
Last week my shrimp seemed way too interested in the GBTA for several days. We chased him away and now he seems to be leaving it Alone. However, Since then the nem has been stressed. Friday it shrunk up really small and released a little purple mucous. Saturday it looked better so I tried to give it a krill, which it just let go of. Sunday it looked bad all day but in the evening he looked totally back to normal and I thought he was all good; just expelling waste or something. Tonight though, his mouth is gaping, he's spitting a little purple mucous, and he's about half his usual size.
What should I do to save him? Or save my tank?
Parameters are norma - no nitrates, no amonia, low phosphate, ph 8.3.
I started running carbon Friday when he spit that stuff out and it seems like it makes him worse. Is that possible?

Hi there,

Can we get a bit more info? How long have you have the nem, how long in that location, and when did he last eat? It is not unusual for a nem to expel waste over 2 days if they had a large meal.

I would just watch him for now. His tentacles still look pretty good, and his foot seems attached firmly . Report back in the morning!

Thanks for the replies! Its looking better this evening again.
I've had it for about three months and its been in that location the whole time.
I guess I thought he's not doing well because he spit some purple stuff and shrunk really small a lot this weekend, which it's never done before. Plus he looked slightly slimy. He eats a small frozen krill every three days or so. Do I need to vary his diet?

@Andrew6000 wrote:
Thanks for the replies! Its looking better this evening again. I've had it for about three months and its been in that location the whole time. I guess I thought he's not doing well because he spit some purple stuff and shrunk really small a lot this weekend said:
That was him digesting the food. That is one way (only way that I know of) that it will get rid of its waste.