How to do it ?

bump1

Membership Expired
I have fragged large and small corals both SPS and soft corals, This SPS is what i would call a ex large or even a 2X Lg. It was a frag when i got it and it got so lg it fell over and rested on the frag rack and the front of the tank glass. It kept growing and the tips of the coral stick out of the water and are flat on top. Its been there all this time. It looks to be around 11 or 12 inches from one side to the other. It looks to be around 5 or 6 inches thick all the way across the coral. I have had it for say 5 to 6 years. Anyhow I lost most of it six months ago. I fragged a few small hunks and they are fine. I'll say maybe 1/8 of the coral is still alive today. I want to take the coral out of the tank to get that live hunk off but its so deep Im not sure how to do it and keep the live hunk as one coral.

So how can I get this coral chopped so that I can keep the live hunk as one coral ?

Thank you, for any and all help.

I'm sorry its late and a put this in the wrong place can u move it down one to the SPS area.
Tank you

Can you just use the bone cutters inside the tank and nip away dead until you get to the live piece you're trying to get to?

Its almost as deep as your hand is long. Sniping will work to remove the small stuff on the top around it but i need to cut the deep stuff underneath the coral. I think it would take a really long time to do it that way and it would make a mess of the tank. Im thinking of trying to cut it in half some how then do it again to get close to it. Its about the size of a picnic ham give or take a little and about the same shape

@bump1 wrote:
I'm sorry its late and a put this in the wrong place can u move it down one to the SPS area. Tank you said:

Can you post a picture? You said most of it was dead, so I'd remove it and cut off the living part and place it in a new spot.

[attachment=2]photo 1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]photo 3.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]photo 5.jpg[/attachment][attachment=5]photo 1.jpg[/attachment]TY for moving it Marc. Yes Pics to see

I took it out of the tank and it was really bad it had stuff growing all over the top of it. It was nasty is all i can say. The coral was bigger than i thought as it was a tad bit bigger round then a 5 gallon salt bucket. Anyhow the coral was a mess. My other half said it died about two or three months ago. I didn't want to do anything to it till I knew for sure it was doing ok. Then i looked and it was a mess with algae all over it so I had to do it now.
It was a lot easier then i thought it was going to be. For the most part it was in layers but the bottom was thick. I got one small one, one medium one and one lg hunk so I'm happy. I trimmed and cleaned them up to make them look nice. It was a huge coral an made a huge mess of the tank and killed off a few others. A coral this size makes a huge mess in a 100g tank. I did a water ch in the tank back when it was cold and it turned out the heater in the SW mix wasn't working so i think the temp swing got it. It was at the very top of the tank and thats where the return pipes are. The good thing is now the bottom of the tank can get some light as the coral was blocked about a third of the light.

[attachment=0]photo 2-3.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]photo 3-2.jpg[/attachment]That is the frag plug at the bottom of picture 2.

[attachment=2]photo 2-3.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]photo 1-4.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]photo 2-4.jpg[/attachment]
That red on looks scary.

[attachment=0]photo 1-6.jpg[/attachment]so the coral went from that size to this size.[attachment=1]photo 5-4.jpg[/attachment]

Now its all cleaned up and back in the tank. [attachment=0]photo 3-6.JPG[/attachment]This one is with the blues [attachment=1]photo 2-8.JPG[/attachment]This one is with the blue and the 10k MH

Well i don't know what happened to the pics they were there and now they are not. Did I do it wrong?

I see all the pics, looks crazy. That is one huge acro colony! Glad u were able to save some of it.