hob fuge

I am setting up an hob fuge. It is running. How do I start to cultivate my pods in there? What do I feed them? What is cheato and where do I get it? Does it have special requirements? Sorry for all the ? Thanks

@tmkx3 wrote:
How do I start to cultivate my pods in there? said:
You just need to get some pods. You can either buy live copepods (Many LFS sell them) or you can get some macro algae from a fellow reefer that has them. Good quality live rock usually has some too.

@tmkx3 wrote:
What do I feed them? said:
Most people just let them scavenge on the by-products of the tank, but you can dose phytoplankton to help them along as well (Or just scrape your glass to release some natural algae for them)

@tmkx3 wrote:
What is cheato and where do I get it? said:
Cheato (Cheatomorph) is a frequently used macro algae. It's generally preferred over the other commonly available macro algae, Caulerpa, because it doesn't attach to the rockwork, and it doesn't have the chance of going asexual and releasing all it's absorbed like Caulerpa does. (Some, such as myself, use both)

It can be purchased at many LFS, but a better bet is to find a fellow reefer and get them to give you some. I see you're in Houston. If you want to come all the way to Rowlett, Tx (30 miles east of Dallas) I'll happily give you some, but a better bet would be for you to go to the Houston site MARSH - Marine And Reef Society of Houston - http://www.marshreef.com/ and ask for some from someone more local to you.

@tmkx3 wrote:
Does it have special requirements? said:
It needs light and water flow. The more of bother, the better, but it can do decently well under even adverse conditions, but the better the conditions, the quicker it will grow, and the more nutrients it will remove from the water. (That's a good thing. :) )