Help!

McReefer

Membership Expired
I bought a single polyp of utter chaos at a LFS. It looked Great for a 8 days. Then it just shriveled up and died. I just don't get it. All my SPS, z's and p's are fully open and happy. It was fine in the spot I had it. Right next to a RPE that's also fine. This upsets me to no end. This paly was on my wants lost for years. I just don't get it. Wth happened?

if they cut the "foot" of the polyp then it will not survive. When they cut it did they cut the rock/frag plug with it or just use a razor blade and cut it completely off of the structure?

@McReefer wrote:
Both. Cut rock to seperrate and then razored off to glue on plug said:
Personally I wouldn't of bought a freshly cut frag I would of paid a deposit to have them let it heal in their tank.

Yes, it's unfortunate. I've seen people cut under the coralline to glue that to a frag plug, but buying one polyp isn't something I'd do.

Yeah.... Live and learn I guess. I had done this before with this LFS and had no issues.

But with what you guys are thinking does the polyp being happy for a week make since in this?

Wouldn't it be more likely to die right away?

I've had perfectly happy zoanthids shrivel up and die system-wide with no rhyme or reason. I lost thousands of polyps in the 280g years ago, and it was devastating. Everything else in the tank, including other zoas and palys completely unaffected. That one strain just went bye-bye.

You can check with other club members to find this particular zoa. Try getting one (a frag, not a single polyp) that has been growing nicely on a frag plug this time.

Went home at lunch. Noticed hydroids setup camp on the disk. It's getting stung to death. Now I'm noting them all over this one rock. I sent my LFS a request for a sea hare. Anyone else deal with these before?

@McReefer wrote:
Went home at lunch. Noticed hydroids setup camp on the disk. It's getting stung to death. Now I'm noting them all over this one rock. I sent my LFS a request for a sea hare. Anyone else deal with these before? said:
Sea hare won't kill hydroids you need to do it manually. Kalk paste or I just put 2part epoxy on top off them to kill them

@McReefer wrote:
Yeah.... Live and learn I guess. I had done this before with this LFS and had no issues. But with what you guys are thinking does the polyp being happy for a week make since in this? Wouldn't it be more likely to die right away? said:
Talk to Brandon Zoajoc he is good at cutting polyps and will sell them fresh cut or after they have healed. Waiting for them to be healed is best but the urge is just to strong sometimes...LOL

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f184/colonial-hydroids-how-do-you-get-rid-of-them-96296-2.html

This guy says they will. Not saying he's right or that your wrong. What do you think? Would you try it? I want them eradicated and I can't do that on my own.

Regarding the frag and buy thing... unless it's just the rock being snipped off with bone cutters, I would never by a fresh "cut" polyp. Just bad news... I like to give my polyps at least 1 week, but generally 2 weeks to heal before offering them to a new owner. It's an injury prone to the many infectious organisms that live in our systems, as well as additional stress by changing lighting, flow, water chemistry etc. when you take it home. I've read this many times before, and I've seen it as well... zoas do OK with maybe 1 stressor, but add 2 or 3 to the mix and there's a good chance they'll at least close for a while, or even melt.