Help on Starting a Propagation Tank

I will be setting up a 40 gallon propagation tank. I will be propagating zoanthid polyps and ricordia. I wanted some advice as far as equipment and overall setup. For right know this is what I have

(2) Maxi Jet 400

CPR Bak Pak

150 watt supmersible heater

Now, I am going to be using halide lighting with PC actinics. To achieve the best amount of growth should I use a 175 watt MH or a 250 watt MH?

My next question for a propagation tank with no fish is how many pounds of live rock should I use?

Finally, I am torn between using an overflow box with sump, or a hang on power filter with a surface skimmer. My reason for this is that I have heard that zoas do better in "dirty" water than they do in nutrient free water. I am anxious to hear all your recommendations and advice you can give me thank you.

Well you'll nee more circulation for sure.

Dirty is a relative term. You don't want high levels maybe slightly detectable nitrates, etc. but if you go for dirty water then you'll be begging for algea issues!

Light for zos and rics is easy enough. I would not even worry about MH. VHOs, T5s or PCs will be more then enough and have less heat issues and costs.

I would ditch the power filter, add a few more powerheads and make a surface skimmer for the skimmer. You should be good. Keep it simple. Remember a prop system needs to be cheap and be a good environment. Not look good or have the best stuff on it!

needpics.gif
alt="">