Has anyone ordered from ocean rider lately? - I am wondering what the wait is.

Nicki

Membership Expired
[I am wondering how long of a wait it is for seahorses right now. I know their website says immediate shipping on some seahorses but they always fib on their shipping time frame.]

[Well they have been taken over by new management and things do seem to be improving there. I have heard a few really good experiences lately, including prompt shipping and follow-up calls to see how the horses were doing. Even with all that many are still leary about ordering from them because of the reputation they have built for themselves. Can you email first and ask if the species you want is available?
What species are you looking for? I know a few private breeders and may be able to help out.]

[Amanda

I was thinking about getting a new seahorse in a couple of months. Last time I ordered from OR it took 6 months to get my horses. I was just trying to plan ahead.

I am interested in erectus or reidi. I didn't know that there are any local breeders. I would definitely be interested in the future. What type of horses are they raising?

My male Sunburst has recently started crunching forward and opening his pouch. He is not pregnant. I did some research on seahorse.org and it doesn't sound good. Have you seen or heard ot this before? I have had him 15 months and don't want to lose him.]

[You can keep an eye on Marine depot as well, they are getting in CB horses every couple of months it seems.
I dont know of any local breeders, but know of a few throughout the country that ship via fedex. This would be an option for erectus but not reidi, raising those beauties is proving very tough for many.

It sounds like your Sunburst could simply be flushing, but I think you would have seen this far before 15 months. My erectus seem to forcefully flush on occasion, but they are still very young. Are there any other signs of trouble? What is the temp? What are you feeding and how often?
Im a Urgent Care mod on Syngnathid.org and the medical knowledge there far beats any other site I frequent. Feel free to post any troubles there for more advice.]

[There are not any other signs of trouble that I know of. The temp is 76. I feed Hikari mysis, PE mysis, and occasionally ghost shrimp. I soak their food in either selcon or zoe/zoecon. I feed everyday unless I am out of town. I do small water changes twice a week. I have three other CB seahorses in there with him.

I will try Syngnathid.org. I have never been on that site. I followed someone with a similar problem on seahorse.org and no one was able to help her.

Does Marine Depot still sale ORA seahorses?]

[Hi guys,
Well we have a source for Reidi here at SWP, and at $60.00 for frozen mysis eaters. I expect well carry them as long as we can get them.

PS Im setting up a nano deluxe tank, any tips for me besides goign for captive bred frozen food eating horses? I hear skimmers are necessary, but hard to do with this tank. Going to see if SPS will work with these guys, I figured 48 watts PC will be plenty of light in that shallow of a tank. Also anyone local breeding?]

[I dont know of anyone carrying ORA horses right now. The last lot MD had was from a private breeder, and I know another private breeder that will be supplying them with other species I believe in the spring.

Nick, what species of horse are you planning on putting in a nano? Skimmers are not necessary for horses at all, in fact any micro bubbles coming from one would be very dangerous. Some sps can sting the horses and at the same time the horses can kill sps with their tails. Same applies to any gorgonians, horses irritate them greatly. LPS with sweepers are a big no-no, just FYI.
I have heard that some of the wholesalers have been getting in Reidi, noone is really talking about where they are coming from though. If they are eating frozen that is great! They should not be mixed with H. erectus though.
I dont know of any local breeders, but I hope to be come springtime.

Nicki, could you link me to the thread you were following on SH.org? Please do post on Syngnathid, Im sure you will recieve some excellent advise there. It may take a few hours for your membership to go through but I will look for it.]

[Amanda

I will try to get you that link tomorrow and I will post on Syngnathid some time early next week. Thanks for your help.]

[all i can say is that i have been waiting for a refund from OR since sept 03. for some DOA zulu lulu and pygmies.
would never recommend OR to anyone]

Great. I am glad to hear they are shipping them immediately. I will probably order from them in the next couple of months. How big were your seahorses when you got them? They were shipping them really small.

Another source is http://www.aquaculturestore.com/specials.html
They have some captive bred Hippocampus Erectus right now.

I have ordered other things from these folks before, but not seahorses, so I can really say what they look like, their state of being, etc. You could always email them any questions your have. They have always been communicative with me in the past when I had questions on other items.

Just another option...I have not price compared them to OR or anything.